Equipment Checkout Requirement
- A student must currently be enrolled in a Media Arts course that is specifically designated to utilize the equipment to be checked out.
|Checkout Time||Due Back|
|10:30 AM - 2:00 PM||The following day 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM|
|1:00 PM - 2:00 PM||The following day 1:30 PM - 2:00 PM|
- Most equipment is checked out for a 24 hour period. For example, equipment picked up on Monday at 10:30 AM will be due back on Tuesday at 10:30 AM.
- Equipment checked out during regular school days will be due back the following regular school day.
- Equipment checked out on a Friday or before a college observed holiday will be due back the next regularly scheduled school day.
- Equipment checkout is not open on weekends or on college observed holidays.
- Students checking out equipment are responsible for verifying, upon receipt of equipment, that all items are present and in working order.
- All gear is due back by the last day of the term.
- Equipment will not be available over term breaks or summer sessions.
- Equipment must be returned to Equipment Checkout in its entirety, in fully operational condition, clean, and undamaged.
- An inventory list is included with every item. Loss of the inventory list will result in a $5.00 replacement fine.
- The condition of the equipment will be assessed by the checkout staff at the time of the return. A grace period of 24 hours may be given to find and return any missing equipment or components.
- Equipment reservations can be made in person during checkout hours, by telephone, or email.
- Reservations must be made at least 24 hours before the pickup date, but no more than 30 days prior to the pickup date.
- Reservations will be granted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Please contact the Equipment Checkout by phone at least 24 hours in advance of the pick up date if you must cancel a reservation.
- Consistent failure to pick up reserved equipment at the designated time may result in suspension of checkout privileges.
Equipment Extension Requests
- Students may request an extension of the checkout period for the equipment in their possession by speaking to their instructor. (Instructor must email or speak with the Equipment Checkout staff.)
- A request does not guarantee fulfillment. If the equipment in question is reserved by another student, the request will be denied by ECO staff and failure to return on time will be considered a violation of these policies.
- Students are limited to one extension per checkout.
- Short term extension for delays beyond the student's control, such as delayed public transit, may be granted over the phone. Such requests must be made to ECO Staff as soon as the delay is evident and before the equipment is considered late.
Late Equipment Violations
- Any equipment not returned on time will be considered late. The Equipment Checkout staff will notify the student by email or by phone and the violation will be recorded.
- If upon return equipment is found to be missing any component or item, said component or item must be returned within 24 hours of the original return date, or it will be considered a violation.
Penalties for Late Returns
- Any student who fails to return any equipment by its due date will be fined as follows:
- First Violation in any quarter: Warning
- Each successive violation in the same term: $25.
- An additional $25 fine will be levied for each 7-day period the equipment remains overdue, and/or if the equipment is scheduled to go out to another student before it is returned.
- If a student has outstanding fines unpaid at the end of any given term, a financial hold will be placed on the student's college account, preventing registration for future classes until the fines are paid in full.
Check Out Privilege Probation
- Students who do not return equipment on time, abuse equipment, or VIOLATE the policies contained in this document may be placed on probation for the duration of the term.
- Any single violation of these policies while on probation will result in the suspension of the student's checkout privileges for the remainder of that term OR LONGER.
- Students in violation of their probation may be placed on probation again for the subsequent term.
- If a student violates his or her second probation, his or her checkout privileges may be suspended indefinitely.
Financial Penalties for Theft, Loss or Damage
- The student checking out equipment is solely responsible for the equipment so entrusted, regardless of group work or any other user.
- If equipment is lost, damaged, or stolen while in the student's possession, he or she may be held responsible for the full amount of its replacement or repair costs.
- If equipment is stolen from the student, he or she must file a report with the appropriate Police Department (and Public Safety if the event occurred on campus) within three (3) days of the theft and provide a copy of the police report to Media Arts.
- Any equipment returned damaged will be assessed and documented by the Equipment Checkout staff and reported to the Department Dean for determination of repair or replacement costs. The student will be held responsible for all costs.
- Failure of any student to pay replacement or repair costs will result in a financial hold on the student's college account, preventing class enrollment until restitution is paid. Extended failure to make restitution may result in the reporting of debt to collection agencies, private investigators, police departments, or other agencies as part of an effort to collect payments.
- Any financial penalties for loss or damage are separate from, and will be levied in addition to, any late fines the student accrues.
- A financial fee or penalty in contention may be brought to the Department Dean upon request.
Entry to Equipment Rooms
- Students may not enter the equipment checkout room(s) at any time unless so instructed by the ECO Staff.
- Repeated Violation of the above rules and regulations can result in penalization up to and including temporary or permanent suspensions of check out privileges as determined by the ECO Staff.
- The student's signature on the Media Arts student account sign up form verifies that he or she understands and accepts as binding the above rules and regulations.
Call us if you have any questions