How do I declare or change my degree choice or program of study?

At Lane, students can declare their degree program and Career Community, during the admissions process. If you are transferring to a 4-year university, they may ask you to choose a major. If you wish to change your degree, certificate, or transfer path you can make those changes with help from an academic advisor.

How do I declare my initial degree program or Career Community?

The first step new credit students complete is called "Steps to Enroll". On the admission form, you will be asked to declare your initial degree, certificate or transfer area. Later in the process, you will speak with an academic advisor, and confirm your choice with them.

What should you consider when making a change to your degree program?

  • Financial Aid implications or other funding considerations
  • Excess credits
  • Time to complete your degree
  • Transfer opportunities
  • VA Education Benefits

How can I change my degree program or Career Community?

The first step is to meet with your academic advisor before making a program or degree change. You can schedule an appointment with your Academic Advisor to discuss the advantages or disadvantages of changing your program and help you make the right academic decisions.

If you receive financial aid or use other funding sources to go to school, it is recommended that you check with the appropriate department before making changes to your program to make sure this will not affect your funding eligibility.

To begin the process for making the change:

  • Schedule an appointment with your Academic Advisor.
  • Once you have met with your Academic Advisor they will submit a change request on your behalf. Changes will be processed within 1-5 business days.
  • Check myGradPlan for updates to your degree program. You may also view these changes in Navigate Student to review your degree and program changes.

Requested changes will become effective for the following term when the change request is made after the last day to drop with a refund.  

You may choose to pursue one degree at a time. If you choose a degree program that offers certificates that have not already been awarded, they will be automatically added to myGradPlan. Check with your Academic Advisor for appropriate exceptions. 

If you choose an AAOT or AGS you will be given the option to choose one of Lane’s eight Career Communities.

An excess of change requests you may be asked to seek advice from a Lane Career Counselor.