Transferring Prior College Credit to Lane

If you've attended a prior college, you can submit your transcript to have prior coursework considered for transfer evaluation to Lane.

Curious how your credits might transfer to Lane? Check out the transfer tool.

Prior College Transcripts

You must meet these criteria for your transcript to be considered:

  • You have applied for admission
  • Official Transcripts have been submitted to Enrollment Services
  • You are currently enrolled in six credits or more
  • You are pursuing an associates degree and/or certificate at Lane
  • Students applying to limited-entry programs should speak to their advisor about transfer credit for their applications. Students in these programs, such as Nursing and Physical Therapy Assistant, will have their transcripts officially evaluated upon admittance to the program

Lane Community College evaluates transcripts for students who meet the criteria as listed above. Transcripts will be evaluated within two terms of the student meeting the above criteria and Lane receiving the transcript. Lane strives to evaluate transcripts as soon as possible and will evaluate transcripts for students who do not meet the criteria as time allows. Graduating students and students using Veterans Affairs benefits are prioritized.

In order to help you plan your schedule, meet with your academic advisor to do an unofficial evaluation of your transcripts. You can also use the Transfer Tool to see how your prior college classes transfer to Lane. Not all courses are listed in the Transfer Tool. Many courses not listed will still transfer to Lane.

You must earn at least 24 credits at Lane in order to earn a degree.

Until your prior coursework has been evaluated and you can see the course(s) in myGradPlan, you must go to the appropriate department to have prerequisite registration holds cleared.

U.S. Transfer Credits

  • Coursework must be completed at a regionally-accredited institution.
  • Grades of D or better are required for transfer coursework to be considered.
  • Pass/NoPass grades are only transferable when the issuing institution defines the grade as C- or better.
  • Upper-division coursework (usually 300-400 level) will be evaluated on an individual basis and may require the instructional department's review.
  • The college or university must have been regionally accredited or be a candidate for accreditation when the course work was taken.

Lane in general does consider course work at a 300 level and above as equivalent to our 100-200 courses unless the course work is approved by the sponsoring department. Students should keep in mind that some 300-400 level courses used to meet a degree requirement at Lane may not be considered for use by a four-year college once they transfer. The use or not of these courses is up to the college you will be transferring to. Many schools consider the second use of these courses as "double dipping." In other words, if a course or courses were used to meet a two-year degree, such as the AAOT, whereby placing you at a junior standing at a four-year school, the school may not allow you to use the course a second time to meet a graduate requirement.

International Transfer Credits

Coursework listed on non–US transcripts may only be considered when accompanied by an evaluation from an approved service. Students may select an agency of their choice from the NACES site. A course-by-course evaluation from the evaluation service is required.

Credit for Prior Experiential learning

Credit by Assessment (CBA) and Credit by Exam (CBE) provide options for students to earn credits when a prior institution is not regionally accredited. A maximum of 25 percent of the program requirements can be satisfied by CBA/CBE credits. Find out more about Credit by Assessment.

Non-Traditional Transfer Credits

Lane will evaluate any of the following learning experiences for credit depending on test and score:

  • Advanced Placement (AP)
  • College Level Entrance Examination Program (CLEP)
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Military Service Credit
  • (AARTS, CCAF, CGI, and SMART) based on American Council on Education (ACE) recommendation.

A military veteran demonstrating the completion of basic training will be granted 3 credits of PE. Completion of basic training can be demonstrated by submitting a copy of your DD214 or your Joint Services Transcript (JST) transcript. DD214 copies can be submitted in the drop box in the lobby of Building 1, or via mail to:

Enrollment Services
Lane Community College
4000 E. 30th Avenue
Eugene, OR 97405

Frequently Asked Questions

Lane accepts official transcripts from US institutions that are regionally accredited. All documents submitted to Lane become the property of Lane and are subject to federal law, The Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA). Learn about submitting transcripts.

Lane evaluates lower-division collegiate coursework only. Upper-division coursework (usually 300-400 level) will be evaluated on an individual basis. Lane does not accept transfer coursework with grades of F, NP, or Unsatisfactory. If you have questions, please email

Whenever possible Lane assigns a direct equivalency for transfer coursework. When there is not a direct equivalency available, Lane assigns the course a 1XX or 2XX within the appropriate subject area. In many cases these courses will satisfy program requirements.

Transfer GPA is neither calculated by Lane nor included in the overall GPA on Lane transcripts.

Lane accepts courses completed through the Willamette Promise accelerated credit program as transcribed by Western Oregon University or another regionally accredited partner institution. Students can refer to the Transfer Course Equivalency Tool listing for WOU or other partner schools to see how credits have been accepted previously. Students planning to transfer to another college or university should check with that institution about their acceptance of Willamette Promise credit and work closely with an academic advisor to plan accordingly.

Contact Enrollment Services

See the main Enrollment Services page for other contact options.