Out-of-State Academic Student Complaint Procedure

Lane Online power button

In compliance with the Higher Education Opportunities Act of 2008, the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) conducted a Negotiated Rule Making Process in 2010, and institutions offering distance education must provide enrolled and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency and with the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in the student's state.

Students enrolled in online classes at Lane Community College who reside out-of-state should follow the Complaint Procedures listed in Lane's Student Rights and Responsibilities to resolve concerns. Online students have the same rights and responsibilities as those students enrolled in on-campus courses.

Complaints and the process for any appeals are addressed through the Student Complaint Procedure.

The college department responsible for overseeing student complaints is the Office of Academic and Student Affairs located on Lane's main 30th Avenue campus, Building 3, second floor, 541-463-5732. Students who have concerns involving one of the areas listed below should see these specific procedures listed in the College Online Policy and Procedure System.

If after following the college procedure the issue cannot be resolved internally and the student seeks additional resolution, students can refer to the contacts below for the appropriate state agency or accrediting body.

Students should attempt to resolve any grievances they may have with their school first. Should attempts to resolve these problems with appropriate school officials fail, or should the student be dissatisfied with the final outcome of the college complaint process, then the Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC), can respond to a formal complaint. Students may contact the Higher Education Coordinating Commission, 3225 25th St. SE, Salem, OR 97302 or by sending an email to complaints@hecc.oregon.gov. Students may also access the Oregon.gov Complaints web page or visit the complaints page at NC-SARA’s website.

Lane Community College is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). Information regarding their complaint process and contact information can be found on the NWCCU website. Please email any questions to info@nwccu.org.

Students may also contact the Oregon Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development (CCWD) by phone at (541) 947-2428 or by email to donna.j.lewelling@state.or.us.

Complaint Contacts by Location

Alabama Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education
Alaska Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education
Arizona Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education Student Grievance Procedure
Arkansas Arkansas Department of Higher Education - See Appendix J: Student Grievance Procedure
California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
Colorado Office Higher Education Education - Student Complaints
Delaware Delaware Department of Education
Florida Florida Department of Education Student Grievance Procedure
Idaho Idaho Board of Education Student Grievance Procedure
Indiana Indiana Commission on Proprietary Education
Iowa Iowa College Aid
Kansas Board of Regents Private Postsecondary Complaint Process
Kentucky Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education Student Grievance Procedure
Louisiana Louisiana Board of Regents Student Grievance Procedure
Maine Maine Department of Education
Maryland Maryland Higher Education Commission Student Grievance Procedure
Massachusetts Massachusetts Board of Higher Education Student Grievance Procedure
Michigan Michigan Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth Student Grievance Procedure
Minnesota Minnesota Office of Higher Education Student Grievance Procedure
Mississippi Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation
Missouri Department of Higher Education Student Grievance Procedure
Montana Montana University System Notification of Montana Postsecondary Educational Institution Complaint Process
Nebraska Nebraska 's Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education Student Complaints
Nevada Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education Student Complaints
New Hampshire New Hampshire Postsecondary Education Commission Student Grievance Procedure
New Jersey New Jersey Commission of Higher Education Student Grievance Procedure
New Mexico New Mexico Higher Education Department Student Grievance Procedure
North Carolina North Carolina Community College System, Office of Proprietary School Services Student Grievance Procedure
North Dakota North Dakota State Board for Career and Technical Education
Ohio Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools Student Grievance Procedure
Oklahoma Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
Oregon Office of Degree Authorization
Pennsylvania Pennsylvania College and Career Education
Puerto Rico Puerto Rico Council on Higher Education
South Carolina South Carolina Commission on Higher Education Student Grievance Procedure
South Dakota South Dakota Board of Regents Student Grievance Procedure
Tennessee Tennessee Higher Education Commission Complaint Form
Texas Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Student Grievance Procedure
Utah Utah Division of Consumer Protection Student Grievance Procedure
Vermont Vermont State Board of Education Student Grievance Procedure
Virginia Private & Out-of-State Postsecondary Education Student Grievance Procedure
Washington Washington Higher Education Coordinating Board
Washington DC Education Licensure Commission
West Virginia West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission Student Grievance Procedure
Wisconsin Wisconsin Educational Approval Board Student Grievance Procedure