The Lane Community Foundation awards one million dollars in scholarships to our students each academic year.
We rely on a caring, dedicated team of individuals to help us review student applications. The students trust us with their stories, their dreams for the future and educational goals. Scholarships help our students achieve the life they envision for themselves. This is a meaningful volunteer opportunity and our readers truly enjoy being part of this process.
Employees of Lane Community College are not eligible for this specific volunteer opportunity. Preference given to Lane County residents.
What To Expect
- Review online applications from your home, on your own schedule!
- Access online applications with PC or MAC computers using current versions of Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari browsers.
- Tablet devices are typically okay. The platform is not mobile optimized. The side-by-side viewing feature, which is optional, may not be available on some devices.
- Computers should be current. Volunteers will need to download Adobe Reader to access application documents (No cost version available on the internet).
- The Scholarship Coordinator will be available to answer questions. Scoring criteria and orientation materials are very detailed and include print screens that will show you how to navigate the software.
- Reviewers will receive the support needed to feel confident and successful in their reviews.
- Read approximately 40-50 applications.
- Completing your review will take approximately 25-30+ hours.
- You will have approximately one month to complete your review.
- Reviewing applications typically concludes by the end of April.
- Volunteers will be asked to sign Conflict of Interest and Confidentiality forms.
- Results of the review and specific scholarship criteria will be considered when the LCC Foundation identifies scholarship recipients. Offers will be sent to students in early June.
- The LCC Foundation is committed to providing every application with respectful, fair, and consistent consideration. The review team is an integral part of this process.
Comments from our Volunteers
"It is an honor for me to be a part of this.Thank you so much for the opportunity!"
"As always, participating in the review process was a real privilege."
"It was a profound experience reading the applications. I look forward to doing it again in the future."
"Wanted to let you know that I have finished reviewing and I must say, another wonderful experience! So many bright deserving applicants."
"I have enjoyed the insights into people's lives that I get from doing the evaluations. For me, it widens my world."
"Thank you for letting me do this magnificent service. It is truly a highlight of my year. These are amazing people and I wish them all well!"