Senior Credit Tuition Waiver

If you are an Oregon resident who is 62 or older, you may receive a Senior Credit Tuition Waiver at Lane Community College.

Information and eligibility conditions:

  • Students 62 years and older taking 8 or fewer credits for a grading mode of audit.
  • All credit admission, placement tests and prerequisites will apply to senior students.
  • Waiver applies to in-state tuition only. Senior students will be required to pay all fees assessed for the class.
  • The Transportation Fee and Health Fee will be waived.
  • Registration cannot take place until the Sunday before the first day of each term.
  • Senior students must register by using ExpressLane.

Follow these steps to be able to utilize this tuition waiver.

Steps to Admission:

  • If you have not yet been admitted as a credit student to Lane, apply for admission
  • Follow the steps to apply for credit admission for the term you wish to receive the tuition credit waiver. You will receive an immediate email acknowledging you have finished the online admissions.
  • If you are new in our system, the next business day, you will receive two more emails, one with an "L" student identification number, and one with a temporary password to log into ExpressLane, our student registration portal.
  • Log into ExpressLane--reset your password, accept your student email, and complete the New Student Information Session online, all in your ExpressLane account.

Steps to Registration:

  • This option is restricted to credit classes.
  • Once you have your "L" number you may register for up to 8 credits starting the Sunday before the first day of each term.
  • To register, log into ExpressLane with your "L" Student Identification Number and your self-selected password. Click on Enrollment and Student Financial Services, Registration and Books, then Registration. It will ask you to log in again.
  • On the upper left-hand side, click "Registration Tools", and answer the questions to get to the term and search for your class. Be sure to click "Submit" when you have selected a class you want.
  • If you have any difficulty, contact Enrollment Services for assistance.
  • You will need to choose a grade option of "Audit" for each class you wish to receive the tuition waiver. In the Registration Tool, click the tab that says "Schedule and Options", click on the words "Letter Grade" and change to "Audit", then click "Submit" in the lower right corner.
  • After you have registered, click on the "myFinances" tab to see what your bill is for the term. If you wish to drop the class, you must do so in ExpressLane prior to the refund deadline of the Sunday after the first week by 11:59 p.m. Carefully review your bill to see what fees you will be responsible for beyond the tuition charged. Fees may include the following: Transportation fees, technology fees and any additional class fees. The Transportation Fee and Health Fee are waived for recipients of the Senior Credit Tuition Waiver.
  • Here is more information about how to use the Registration Tool

Request the Waiver:

  • To receive your tuition waiver on the credit class, send an email to with the title of "Senior Tuition Credit Waiver" each time you register for a class. Registration done prior to the Sunday before the first day of the term will not be eligible for the tuition waiver.
  • To pay for any additional fees associated with your class, log into ExpressLane and click the "myFinances" tab. Select "make a payment", to pay by VISA, MasterCard, checking or savings account. You can also mail your payment to LCC Accounts Receivable, see Tuition, Fees and Payments for mailing address.
  • Payments are due on the 15th of each month by 11:59 pm. Any unpaid balance will be subject to a 2% late fee.
  • Lane does not mail billing statements to credit students unless specifically requested. To receive a mailed paper statement, log into ExpressLane and click on the "myFinances" tab. Go to the "Billing Statement Information" link in the Account Information box on the left-hand column. Follow the steps to ask that a paper billing statement be mailed to you.

Where do I go if I need help with applying, registering or viewing my bill?