Applying for Aid - Frequently Asked Questions

How often do I need to apply for financial aid?
Apply each academic year whether you are a new or returning student.

Do I have to attend full-time (12 or more credits) to receive financial aid?
No, most federal programs are available for less than full-time enrollment. 

Why does the FAFSA ask for income from the year before I go to school?
Studies have shown that verifiable income information from the base year is more accurate than projected income.

Can I use estimates when completing the FAFSA?
YES. Use W-2 forms, year-to-date payroll records, business/farm records, bank statements, untaxed income statements and any other income/asset records. Estimate to the best of your ability and correct your information when actual amounts are known.

Can I receive financial aid from two schools for the same term(s)?
NO! You may apply for financial aid at any number of schools, but you CANNOT be paid from more than one school during the same term(s).

I'm getting married this year. How do I answer the marital status question?
Answer YES if you are married on the day you sign your FAFSA. Otherwise, answer NO. The FAFSA is a snapshot of your status the day it is signed. Do not update your FAFSA information to reflect marital changes.

If I am separated but filed a joint tax return, how is the information reported?
You should report ONLY your portion of the income, taxes paid and exemptions.

I live with my grandparents, should their income be reported instead of my parents?
Only if they are your legally adoptive parent. You must report cash support given by relatives as untaxed income on the FAFSA.

My parents are divorced. My mother has remarried and my stepparent refuses to supply his information. Can I apply without it?
No. If you are a dependent student and your mother is required to provide financial information on our form, your stepparent's information MUST also be included.

Who do I call for help with completing the FAFSA?
You can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 4-FED-AID, (800) 433-3243. You may also call and/or visit Financial Aid at Lane CC.