Beginning the Process - Who is Eligible for Financial Aid?

To be eligible to receive aid, you must meet each of the following requirements: 

  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen with a valid Social Security number. Note: Students granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status are not eligible for federal and state financial aid. 
  • Show you are academically ready for study at the college level: 
    • By having a high school diploma*, GED certificate or completing high school in a home school setting approved under state law prior to the term for which you wish to receive aid; or
    • (if you were enrolled in a FA eligible program prior to July 1, 2012), you may show you are academically ready for college if you previously passed an Ability to Benefit Test at Lane or completed 6 credits of college level coursework.  
  • Be enrolled as a credit student in an eligible degree or certificate program.
  • Not be in default on a student loan or owe an overpayment or repayment to a financial aid program.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  • Meet additional eligibility requirements if you have ever been convicted of sale or possession of illegal drugs while you were receiving federal student aid.
  • Complete Lane's reading test and qualify to take Reading 087 or higher.
  • Be registered with Selective Service if you are a male who was born on or after January 1, 1960.

*Recognized equivalents of a high school diploma are as follows:

  • A GED
  • A certificate demonstrating that you have passed a state-authorized examination that the state recognizes as the equivalent of a high school diploma
  • An official academic transcript showing you have successfully completed at least a two-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor's degree
  • If you enroll before completing high school, a transcript indicating you excelled in high school (A grades and high level courses). You must no longer be enrolled in high school, must satisfy Lane's written policy for admissions, and must be starting a program that leads to at least an associate's degree or its equivalent.