Early Outreach and Referral is a program for identifying students who would benefit from extra support. Early Outreach is intended to support and systematize the work faculty, staff, and others are already doing in identifying and reaching out to students who are struggling. This system is intended to provide proactive, individualized support to students to encourage their success in their coursework and other aspects of college life and was created with limited time and other resources in mind.
Early Outreach resources and interventions include
- A note pad and electronic referral form to identify and refer students to Early Outreach (Note: Use your Lane Google suite login information to use the electronic referral form.)
- Student meetings with the Early Outreach Instructional Specialist to develop success plans
- Referrals to advising, counseling, financial aid, and other services and resources
- Assistance with aspects of planning and the college experience that students may have difficulty navigating, as well as tutoring in the subject areas relevant to students’ needs
- Emails, texts, and phone call follow-ups with students from the Early Outreach Instructional Specialist to help students achieve goals
- A system of assessment for monitoring students’ progress and communicating that progress back to faculty
Early Outreach offers assistance to students who have already run into a problem and early intervention for students in areas where a problem can be anticipated (e.g. helping students develop a time management plan before missing assignments stack up or connecting students with confidence building resources before their participation scores bring down their overall grade). Informed by Early Outreach scholarship, this assistance is proactive, intrusive, targeted, and personalized, four theoretically-sound principles for encouraging academic success. Early Outreach’s focus on the student’s actual performance in college makes it more effective than other predictive models for monitoring at-risk students. Because it takes into account the different contexts of student life when assessing a student’s academic performance, Early Outreach’s system fosters a holistic view of assessment, alert, and outreach that encourages sustainable success plans.
Program Forms and Information Resources
- Referral Form: use this form to refer students to Early Outreach.
- Syllabus statement: use this statement in course syllabi or other documents that let students know about the program.
- Prezi about the program: see this Prezi to find out and share basic program information.
- Business class support: email email@example.com or make a Zoom appointment through WCOnline.
- CIT support: email firstname.lastname@example.org or make a Zoom appointment through WCOnline.
- Math support: email email@example.com or make a Zoom appointment through WCOnline.
- Science support: email firstname.lastname@example.org or make a Zoom appointment through WCOnline.
- Social science class support: email email@example.com or make a Zoom appointment through WCOnline.
- Reading, writing, or communication support: email firstname.lastname@example.org or make a Zoom appointment through WCOnline.