Lane Math Course Sequence
Courses with No Prerequisite Required:
- MTH 052 - Math for Health & Physical Science
- CG 123 - Amplify My Math Preparation
- MTH 075 - Applied Algebra for Technicians
- MTH 085 - Applied Geometry for Technicians
- MTH 098 - Math Literacy (see below for more info)
- MTH 105Z - Math in Society*
- prerequisite for STAT 243Z - Elementary Statistics 1
- MTH 106 - Math in Society II*
- MTH 107 - Math in Society III*
*You can take MTH 105Z, 106, & 107 in any order; they have no prerequisites.
STEM Pathway - Algebra to Calculus:
- MTH 020 - Math Renewal
- MTH 060 - Beginning Algebra
- MTH 065 - Elementary Algebra
- MTH 095 - Intermediate Algebra
- prerequisite for MTH 211, 212, & 213 - Fundamentals of Elementary Math
- MTH 111Z - Precalculus 1: Functions
- prerequisite for MTH 241 - Elementary Calculus and STAT 243Z - Elementary Statistics 1
- MTH 112Z - Precalculus 2: Trigonometry
- prerequisite for MTH 231 & 232 - Discrete Math
- MTH 251 - Calculus I
- prerequisite for MTH 252 - Calculus II
- MTH 252 - Calculus II
- prerequisite for MTH 253 - Calculus III
- prerequisite for MTH 254 - Vector Calculus
- prerequisite for MTH 261 - Intro to Linear Algebra
- prerequisite for MTH 265 - Statistics for Scientists & Engineers
- MTH 254 - Vector Calculus I
- prerequisite for MTH 255 - Vector Calculus II
- prerequisite for MTH 256 - Applied Differential Equations
Additional Information on MTH 98 - Math Literacy
MTH 98 is an alternative to MTH 60/65/95 as a pathway to MTH 105 at Lane. This is a new pathway for students who do not need MTH 111 and who complete MTH 20 or higher with a grade of C– or better or place out of MTH 20 through the Lane Math Placement Test. Should you change your direction and later need MTH 111 or courses such as calculus, discrete math, or trigonometry, for which MTH 111 is a prerequisite, there is a method to resume the algebra sequence starting in MTH 65.
Who should take MTH 98?
Students whose program of study or career path leads to, or through, MTH 105. Both MTH 111 and MTH 105 satisfy math requirements for many associate degrees. MTH 105 also satisfies requirements for many bachelor degrees that do not require calculus, and at Lane, MTH 105 is an alternate prerequisite for MTH 243 Introduction to Probability and Statistics.
How is it different from the sequence of algebra classes?
Students will read, write, calculate, and participate to develop mathematical communication skills with proportional reasoning, algebraic reasoning, numeracy, and functions but with fewer algebra skills developed than the Math 60/65/95 sequence. Lane's Institutional Learning Outcomes will frame the course.
How many credits is Math 98?
This is a five credit class with five hours per week in the classroom using a textbook for group discussion, additional hours using an online web site, and homework time with math skills and writings.
What should you do next?
Be sure you meet the prerequisite of passing MTH 020 or higher with a C- or better or place out of MTH 020 through the Lane Math Placement Test within the last eight terms. Meet with your program advisor to be sure you are taking the correct math classes needed for your degree or program.