The Lane Foundation offers the following scholarship for music majors. The Foundation scholarship deadline is in March each year. See the Foundation scholarship page for full information.
- Masonic Center Eugene Lodge #11 Ancient Free and Acceptant Masons ($5,000 available)
- Up to 2 awards of $2,500 available through the Lane Foundation.
The Lane Music Program also offers many department scholarships for music majors or non-majors participating in music lessons and classes. Application is open from Sept 1-May 1 each year.
- The Niles and MaryAnn Hanson Scholarships ($13,200*) - As many as 11 awards of $1,200. *One award made possible by Ron and Janet Bertucci.
- John Workman Memorial Jazz Scholarships (up to $1,200 available) - In memory of John Workman (1952-1998) - Jazz Pianist, Composer and Lane Music Faculty Member.
- E Jean Glausi Scholarship (up to $1,500 available) - This award is given to outstanding students(s) who are deserving of support. Award made possibly by the generousity of a donor who wishes to remain anonymous.
Music Scholarship Application Requirements
For all scholarships except for Masonic Center Eugene Lodge Award. Please see above for Masonic Center Eugene Lodge Award information.
Who may apply:
Outstanding student leaders who are interested in studying music, and who are intending to enroll full time at Lane during the following academic year (Fall, Winter and Spring terms).
Application Materials List:
- The application form can be downloaded by clicking the link below.
- Applications are due May 1st!
- Complete the Scholarship Application
- Write an essay (1-2 pages max) that tells us about you and why you deserve to receive this scholarship. Consider addressing the following:
- What does music mean to you?
- Why do you want to study music at Lane?
- What are your musical/educational goals?
- How have you demonstrated leadership and enhanced musical experiences for others?
- What are your personal and musical strengths?
- Have you had any notable musical accomplishments?
- Why do you want this scholarship?
Two Letters of Recommendation:
- Include one letter from a current music teacher and one from any other non-family member. Applicants may have references submit letters of recommendation, or they may use the Lane Music Scholarships Recommendation form, which is available below. Hard copies of the Recommendation form are also available in the Music Building.
- Download Scholarship Recommendation Form
Audition Requirements (10-15 minutes max):
- All applicants are required to demonstrate their skill by performing an audition.
- This audition may be live, or it may be recorded on video and submitted along with the other application materials.
- Live Auditions
- Dates: May 17th and 18th
- Applicants will be notified of their audition time via email.
- An audition schedule will be posted on this website when finalists are announced.
- Video Auditions
- Applicants may choose to submit video recordings of their audition if they are unable to perform a live audition.
- Video auditions may be sent with other application materials on a DVD, or they may be sent electronically as a video file, or a YouTube link.
- Audition Requirements
- The audition requirements vary depending on your emphasis (i.e. trumpet, voice, digital composition, etc.)
- See the specific audition requirements for your instrument / voice.
- Dress appropriately (no jeans, athletic shoes, or T-shirts).
- Introduce yourself by name, instrument & current school (e.g: "Hello, my name is Gustav Holst & I am auditioning on Trombone. I currently attend Phoenix High School in Phoenix Arizona").
- Students performing outstanding auditions in multiple areas (e.g. jazz & brass) may be given preference.
- Scholarship awards will be applied to the recipient's Lane account at the beginning of Fall, Winter, and Spring terms.
- 1/3rd of the scholarship will be awarded Fall term
- Award of subsequent portions (Winter and Spring terms) will be subject to a review of the student's work.
- Students are expected to demonstrate leadership, integrity, academic and musical excellence.
- A review of a student's work to determine whether they may retain their scholarship for Winter and Spring terms will include criteria such as:
- GPA/academic performance
- Attendance and commitment
Applicants may audition in any of the categories listed in the Audition Requirements document below. You may record your audition on video and submit it on a DVD, or you may post your video to YouTube and share the link via email. Applicants are encouraged to submit auditions in multiple categories if applicable. For jazz applicants - the necessary Aebersold play-along tracks are also listed below.