Our mission is to help students develop themselves musically. We provide and maintain a high-quality program for students who are:
- Planning to transfer to colleges and universities as music majors.
- Seeking training in Music Technology and Commercial Music production.
- Desiring to enrich their lives with the experience of music.
Did You Know-
- The Lane Music, Dance and Theatre Arts Department has the largest community college music program in Oregon.
- Every year the Lane Music, Dance and Theatre Arts Department awards over $40,000 in music scholarships including 18 Talent Grants (pay 12-credits of tuition) and an additional $5,000 in individual lesson scholarships available each year.
- Lane's music program is designed so that, upon completion, music students can transfer to any Oregon state college or university as a junior.
- The Instruction at Lane is top quality. The highly-skilled instructors provide a personal, caring atmosphere in which student growth and success are given first priority.
Ensembles are fun to participate in and help build a sense of camaraderie between students. Interested in joining our community? One of our ensembles may be just the right choice for you!
Symphonic Band - Comprised of brass, woodwinds and percussion, this group plays all styles of band literature. No audition required.
Chamber Orchestra - A small, classical-sized orchestra from 35-40 players, consisting of strings, winds, brass and percussion (mainly timpani). The group performs repertoire from the baroque period to 20th century. Instructor consent required.
Jazz Ensemble - Limited to six saxophones, five trumpets, five trombones, piano, bass, guitar, and drum set. Players in this group are also members of Symphonic Band. Audition required.
Jazz Combos - This course is for instrumentalists/vocalists wishing to study jazz in a small group (combo) setting. Emphasis is placed on performance as well as elements of jazz theory. No audition required.
Concert Choir - Large mixed chorus singing a variety of music. No audition required.
Chamber Choir - Small group of advanced singers exploring music from the Medieval period to the present. Audition required.
Gospel Choir - The Gospel Choir explores the wide-ranging spectrum of Gospel Music in America. No audition required!
A talent grant is a scholarship equivalent to 12 credits. These grants are awarded on the basis of talent, attitude and work ethic. Any student who substantially contributes to at least two Lane performing ensembles is eligible; grants are not limited to music majors. The grants are awarded by audition for Winter and Spring terms. A total of 18 grants are given for instrumental and vocal students.
Individual Lesson Scholarships:
Music majors are required to take private lessons. For the hardworking student, the music department uses concert proceeds to help defray the cost of private instruction. The amount awarded varies depending upon ticket sales. Individual Lesson scholarships are awarded by audition for Winter and Spring terms.
For more information about any aspect of the music program, contact any of the music faculty.