Help and Resources
How to Get Started
Here are the basic steps for getting started with LaneOnline courses. Explore the links in the box if you need detailed information.
- Apply for Admission – If you are a new student to Lane or are a returning student who has been gone four terms or more, you need to complete the online admission application. After you apply, you'll receive an "L number." You need to have an L number before you can enroll in classes or do placement testing. There is no cost to apply.
TIP: When applying online, the degree list defaults to "No Major Declared; No Degree Sought". Select this default option if you will only be taking a few courses at Lane and do not wish to go through placement testing. If you are going to pursue a degree or certificate and/or wish to be considered for financial aid, you should choose an eligible program of study.
- Apply for Financial Aid – Submit your application as soon as possible if you wish to apply.
- Complete Placement Testing – If you have selected to pursue a degree or certificate, or wish to enroll in writing or math, you must go through placement testing. If you have prior college experience and want to be cleared to enroll in writing or math, submit an unofficial transcript listing the prerequisite to the instructional department.
- If you are out of the Lane area, but still plan to attend Lane Community College you can take a Virtual test from home, or test at another remote location. Virtual Testing information.
- Contact the Counseling Department and meet with an Academic Advisor to help you plan your course of study. There's an annual schedule of LaneOnline classes that can be applied to the Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer degree to help you plan.
- Register for your class using myLane.
- Get your textbooks. Texts are available in the main campus TitanStore or you can also order online.
- Paying for classes, dropping classes and refunds. When you have registered for classes, your charges will appear in the Student Account Menu in myLane. You also pay for classes here. There is NO paper bill sent to students admitted as credit level students, unless you have "opted" individually to have one sent.
The last day to drop a class for the term and not be charged for the class is at the end of the FIRST WEEK, Sunday, at 11:59 p.m., in myLane. Instructors are NOT required to drop you if you do not attend. There is no refund of tuition or fees for classes dropped after this date.