We've compiled some excellent resources to help students and graduates plan effective job searches and look for employment. As you use these resources, implement strategies that will help you provide for your immediate employment needs, while taking steps toward your longer term career goals.
Resources targeted to the COVID-19 pandemic
- COVID-19 resources from the Oregon Employment Department - Job seekers' resources start on page 4.
There are lots of excellent community services resources too, related to housing, food, health services, veterans, etc.
- COVID-19 resources from the Higher Education Coordinating Committee - Find materials and videos related to layoffs, employment, unemployment, and health insurance resources.
- COVID-19 resources from Indeed.com - Gain insight into companies hiring right now, job search strategies, working remotely, virtual interviewing, etc.
- COVID-19 job seeker resources from JobsNow - Even though some of the content is more relevant to Portland area residents, the resources and tips on resumes, virtual interviewing, and job search strategies are relevant to anyone.
- How to Look for Work during the COVID-19 Pandemic - A 30-minute interview with Biron Clark, founder of CareerSidekick.com, with timely advice for job seekers.
- Job Interview Tips in a COVID-19 World - A 30-minute interview with Toni Patterson, Career Coach, about effective at-home, video job interviewing.
- How to Find Remote, Online, and Gig Work...from Zippia.com - Get tips for companies hiring, entry-level online jobs, freelance platforms, working from home, and remote interviews.
- How to Network and Ask for Job Search Help during COVID-19 from The Muse - Includes email templates for contacting people you know and people you don't know.
- What does the Coronavirus Pandemic mean for Your Job Search? - Six tips from The Muse to navigate the process and actively work on your job search.
- Getting a Job during Tough Times - A 30-minute interview with Pattie Sinacole, Founder of First Beacon Group, with strategies to develop a strong and robust network, including how to effectively use LinkedIn.
Job Postings (and job search strategies too!)
- Lane Job Connection - Browse job postings targeted toward Lane students and graduates.
Select "Job Seekers" and then use the "Find A Job" link to focus your search.
- Lane Employment Online - Browse current postings for jobs at Lane Community College; find guidance and tips for applicants.
- WorkSource Oregon - Browse job listings by keyword and location. Enter the keyword "immediate need" to find employers who are actively recruiting to fill critical staffing shortages.
- Oregon Employment Department - Search for jobs, as well as research occupations, industries, and employers.
- Goodwill Industries' Job Connections - Access to local job postings, plus assistance with all aspects of the job search by online appointments, phone, and email.
- Indeed.com - Search for jobs by keywords and locations, post resumes, and research companies and salaries.
- Mac's List - This site is based in Portland; use keywords, location, and salary range to search for jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities all over the Pacific Northwest.
- LinkedIn - Make connections in the world's largest professional network; search for jobs and internships.
- idealist - Find jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities by keyword and location in the non-profit sector.
- CoolWorks - Search for seasonal jobs "in great places" all over the U.S. and the world.
Tips for Effective Resumes, Cover Letters, Job Interviews, Job Search Strategies, Networking, and Social Media
- WorkSource Lane October Virtual Workshop Calendar - Free online skill-enhancement workshops.
- Calendario de talleres virtuales de octubre de WorkSource Oregon: en español - Talleres gratuitos de mejora de habilidades en línea.
- Goodwill Industries October Virtual Workshop Calendar - Experienced staff teach virtual workshops on a variety of subjects to make your job search more effective. Classes offered at no cost to you.
- Career Coach - Use the Resume Builder to create your resume, while exploring Lane's programs and related occupations.
- CareerOneStop's Resume Guide - A step-by-step plan for writing, formatting, and marketing your resume, including tips for online resumes and sample resumes.
- LinkedIn's Job Search Guide - Insights on career assessments, networking, optimizing your LinkedIn profile, finding jobs, interviewing, and more.
- Indeed's Career Guide - Articles and advice on finding a job, resumes, cover letters, interviewing, starting a new job, and more.
- Mac's List Job Search Guide - Browse podcasts and articles on networking, resumes, cover letters, interviewing, salary negotiation, and more.
- Applicant Tracking Systems - This links to a series of articles from Mac's List related to understanding Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) and how to prepare your resume to "get through" an initial computer scan that looks for keywords.