Asian and Pacific Islander American Rites of Passage (APIAROP) Youth Leadership Weekend
Summer 2021 Update
The Asian and Pacific Islander American Rites of Passage (APIAROP) youth leadership program will host a virtual weekend webinar in 2021. The weekend will focus on creating a sense of community and solidarity, and provide a welcoming space for Asian and Pacific Islander youth, peer mentors, and community leaders to freely engage in open discussions, and shared experiences of Asian and Pacific Islander identity, culture, traditions, family, and background. Participants will be introduced to leadership tools, and real-world skills within an A/PI-specific cultural framework. The weekend webinar conference will be held this upcoming summer season (date TBA).
Asian and Pacific Islander American Rites of Passage (APIA-ROP) is a culturally appropriate program for self-identifying APIA students and allies entering 7th – 12th grade. We strive to help enrich the lives of students through an exploration of APIA history and a greater understanding of their cultural identity through leadership development, advocacy, empowerment, and support.
This summer academy provides experiential and culturally specific learning activities to assist Asian and Pacific Islander American high school and middle school students in achieving success. The primary objectives are to promote and sustain cultural awareness, understand Asian and Pacific Islander American issues, increase intercultural skills, and develop personal and community empowerment skills.
What do we do?
- We explore cultural history and experiences through film and facilitated field excursions.
- We share family and community connections through oral history and storytelling.
- We understand the importance of indigenous knowledge through the cultural protocols of Hula.
- We develop leadership and communication skills through facilitated team-building exercises.
- We prepare college portfolios that include scholarship information, application processes, and essays.
- We have fun!
Where is APIA-ROP?
APIA –ROP is on the main campus of Lane Community College.
How much does APIA-ROP cost?
The program is free due to generous support from Lane Community College and Island Arts.