Students With Children
Eugene is a wonderful community for children! It is filled with parks for them to play in and good schools! Please make your childcare search a top priority as soon as you arrive. Children cannot attend orientation or your classes. They are welcome at social and fun events. You will need to plan to arrive in Eugene early enough to find childcare before orientation.
There are many childcare facilities in Eugene. Here are some options:
- Kindercare Learning Centers (Coburg Rd. & Chambers St.)
- Lane Childcare
- Parent Services - This is a free service provided by Lane Community College to help students find childcare in Eugene and Springfield: http://www.lanecc.edu/lfc/parent-services
- Certified Childcare
All childcare facilities have a maximum capacity limit and you may need to visit multiple locations. It will take a week to process your application for childcare. Costs vary widely but you should estimate that each child will cost $800-$1200 per month in childcare expenses.
Child Safety Laws
Different cultures have different laws regarding children and child safety. The USA has strict laws regarding child safety seats. Please read the following Oregon state laws carefully and bring appropriate car seats with you or purchase them immediately upon arrival to the USA.
- CHILD RESTRAINT LAW
Child passengers must be restrained in approved child safety seats until they weigh forty pounds or reach the upper weight limit for the car seat in use. Infants must ride rear-facing until they reach both one year of age AND twenty pounds.
- BOOSTER SEAT LAW
Children over forty pounds or who have reached the upper weight limit for their forward-facing car seat must use boosters into 4'9" tall or age eight and the adult belt fits correctly.
If you are bringing a family, you may need to find housing outside of Titan Court.
These are some available options:
- Broadway Place -- unfurnished, 6-month lease required
- 2125 Franklin -- furnished & Internet service, no lease
- Chase Courtyard -- furnished Studio and One bedroom apartments; one month, six month and one year leases
You may want to consider the following motels with easy access to bus service, restaurants and supermarkets, while you look for an apartment: