National Conference on Sustainability for Community Colleges – April 2008
Eighty-nine people attended this conference from thirty-seven colleges, universities, and other organizations.
President, Bullitt Foundation
"Preparing for Life in a Climate Neutral World"
Rusty Stephens, Ed.D.
President, Wilson Community College
"Sustainability: Community Colleges at the Heart Center"
Concurrent Sessions A
- What is LEED®? - Michael Ryan and Robert Lowe, III, Anne Arundel Community College
- An Introduction to Carbon Footprints for Higher Education - Josh Skov, Good Company
- The Psychology of Sustainability and Why Sustainability is the Science of the 21st Century - Howard Ingle, Salt Lake Community College
- Measuring and Influencing Community College Student Attitudes About Environmental Issues and Sustainable Behavior - Bob Riesenberg, Whatcom Community College
- Infusing Sustainability Into Curriculum, Claudia Owen, Tammie Stark, and Sarah Ulerick, Lane Community College, Patricia Pietraroia, Cuyahoga Community College, Jennifer Wise, Sinclair Community College, and Melinda Riley, Butte College.
- Making Sustainability Stick, Bob Doppelt, Resource Innovations and the Climate Leadership Initiative, Institute for a Sustainable Environment, University of Oregon
Concurrent Sessions B
- Rainwater as a Campus Resource - Margaret Robertson, Lane Community College
- Butte College Sustainability Initiatives: A Model of Collaboration - Melinda Riley, Butte College (additional presentation provided by Melinda Riley: The Clear Creek Project - A Butte College Sustainability Curriculum Development Initiative)
- Journey Towards Sustainability - Kankakee Community College and Illinois - Jerry Weber, Kankakee Community College
- Green Campus 101: Harnessing Energy for Change - Renee Lafrenz, Alliance to Save Energy
- Student Campus Activism - Harnessing the Power of Students to Make Real Campus Changes - Amber Alexander and Joe Marino, Lane Community College OSPIRG
- Infusing Social Justice Into Curriculum - Mark Harris, Lane Community College
- Renewable Energy and Sustainable Practices Program Development: Northeast Wisconsin Technical College - Amy Kox, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
- Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS): Early Community College Experiences - Judy Walton, Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education, Mary Spilde, Lane Community College, David Henry, Richland College (David Henry's notes from the STARS Roundtable)
Concurrent Sessions C
- Sustainability in Landscape Design and Maintenance - Frank Drengacz and Margaret Robertson, Lane Community College
- Rethinking Materials Management for Community College: A Top to Bottom Review - Mike Sims, Lane Community College
- The Ins and Outs of the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment - Larry Eisenberg, Los Angeles Community College District
- Social and Environmental Justice; the Fabric of Sustainable Communities - Susie Cousar, Lane Community College
- Building a Green Workforce from the Ground Up - Rob Holsten, Wilson Community College
- Coming to Know (in) this Place Called Home: Teaching and Learning Sustainability at Portland Community College - Karen Wolfgang and Jenni Newby, Portland Community College
- Skill Set Trends for Sustainability Coordinator Jobs - Tammie Stark, Lane Community College (additional materials posted by Tammie Stark: Skill Set Trends for Sustainability Coordinator Jobs – Checklist, Introduction to Sustainability Course Syllabus, Water Conservation Technician Program Brochure)
- Weaving Sustainability into the Fabric of Lane Community College - Jennifer Hayward and Marie Matsen (retired), Lane Community College
Concurrent Sessions D
- Green and Clean Approach to Custodial Operations - Linda Petee, Delta College
- Lane Community College Clean & Green - Karl Bridenbeck, Coastwide Laboratories
- Achieving Climate Neutrality Through Energy Conservation and Renewable Energy - Larry Eisenberg, Los Angeles Community College District (additional material from Larry Eisenberg: Los Angeles Community College District Energy Strategic Plan)
- Survival as Social Justice - Mark Harris and James Garcia, Lane Community College
- Farm to Table Sustainability - Agriculturalists and Culinarians Working Together - Brian Kelly, Lane Community College, Gregg Shiosaki, Seattle Culinary Academy (Seattle Culinary Academy - video link "Learning From the Ground Up, Our Commitment to Sustainable Farming"), Stefan Seiter, Linn-Benton Community College (Growing and Serving Fresh Food at Linn-Benton Community College)
- GreenRichland: Building Sustainable Local and World Community - Carole Lester, Eddie Hueston, and David Henry, Richland College