Lane's League Membership
The League for Innovation is a consortium of leading League for Innovation logo community colleges organized to stimulate innovation and experimentation in all areas of community college development.
Lane Community College has been a member of the League for over 35 years.Lane is the only Oregon college among the nineteen member colleges that comprise the League's board.
Lane's president, Mary Spilde serves on the League board and Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, Dawn DeWolf serves as Lane's Representative to the League and is a member of the Representatives group. The League board and representatives meets twice yearly to share innovative practices and plan collaborative projects.
Benefits of League Membership to Lane
Through Lane's League membership Lane gains:
- ongoing information exchange of key innovations and programs among League Board colleges;
- special student-focused activities such as the art and literary competitions where student work is judged in a national context and competition winners are awarded cash prizes;
- free access to iStream by all Lane employees, the League's portal-based multimedia resource which includes videostreamed conference keynotes and sessions as well as all digital publications;
- Innovation of the Year competition which gives Lane faculty, staff and managers opportunities to showcase Lane innovations and best practices to an international audience;
- discounted registration fees to League conferences;
- faculty professional development documents and interactive tools to increase teaching and learning skills;
- and opportunities to participate in League projects, publications and activities such as grant development for national research funding.
League Student Art and Literary Competitions
The League's purpose is to promote innovation in education and therefore offers projects that encourage creativity as well as providing recognition and awards to exceptional students. Both the student art and literary competitions demonstrate the League's commitment to honoring outstanding artistic achievement among students in the nineteen board colleges.
Innovation of the Year
Each year the League recognizes a significant innovation at each of the member colleges. Applications are encouraged from all areas of the college and a committee of past recipients selects the award winning submission.
More on Innovation of the Year.
Lane is a Vanguard College
In 2000, Lane became one of 12 Vanguard Learning Colleges, an initiative of the League for Innovation. Vanguard Learning College conduct projects built on values that place learning first throughout their institutions. These colleges develop and strengthen policies, programs, and practices across their institutions focusing on the five project objectives: organizational culture, staff recruitment and development, technology, learning outcomes, and under-prepared students.
Lane Joins the League in 1973
Below is a photo of (left to right) Bert Dotson, Assistant to the President; B. Lamar Johnson, Executive Director of the League for Innovation; and LCC president, Eldon Schafer on the occasion of LCC's invitation to joining the League in 1973.