Lane Community College's Theatre Arts program is dedicated to providing a high-quality education within a safe and supportive center for artistic development. The diverse curriculum emphasizes the discipline of teamwork and prepares students for academic and professional transfer.
In support of these goals, the program provides:
- Development of fundamental performance and production skills for the theatre and other emerging media.
- Encouragement of self desiring enrichment opportunities
One of the advantages for theatre students at Lane are the many opportunities to perform for a live audience. We believe live performance is an essential part of the undergraduate educational experience. Therefore we provide the following performance situations:
- One-act plays
- Full-length plays
- Blue Door at 4 (student cabarets & showcases)
- Final recitals in Dramatizing Literature
- Shakespeare recital
- Film and video
Experienced students create their own theatrical events in the Blue Door Theatre. Students may also receive credit for off-campus performance activities.
We have two excellent performance venues
- The Blue Door Theatre: Eugene's only theatre-in-the-round. We have recently installed new sound and light systems and have finished a renovation of the entry and seating.
- The Performance Hall: Many people refer to our 500-seat theatre as a model performance space. The high-end lighting system, professional sound system and flexible stage are some of the features that attract both technical and performing students. Other amenities include a complete fly system, thrust stage, customizable orchestra pit, trap doors, vomitoriums, adjustable proscenium and a powerful video projector.
The Music, Dance and Theatre Department offers several talent grants in theatre performance. One such grant is the Helen Jones Memorial Scholarship for the amount of $1,000. This is awarded to full-time Theatre Arts student at Lane. Students interested in applying for this and other awards may call Patrick Torelle for application deadlines and forms at (541) 463-5648.
For more information about any aspect of the theatre program, contact: