Award Information - Federal Work Study
** Begin Applying for FWS Jobs June 1, 2017 **
Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federal financial aid work program that provides students the opportunity to work part-time jobs on and off campus. In order to be eligible, students must apply for financial aid by January 31st each year, demonstrate financial need, and be enrolled at least half time. The FWS program has many benefits, such as:
- Provides job opportunities for students in need of financial assistance to meet college costs
- Provides opportunities to gain skills that will enhance future educational and career goals
- Provides benefical resume building experience and training and can lead to career opportunities while still in school
- Earnings are "removed" from income on the subsequent FAFSA. In other words, earnings are not considered when calculating financial need for future financial aid
Students will be notified of their eligibility via the award letter. The award amounts vary according to a student's financial need. The work study placement process is on-line and self-service. View the Federal Work Study Guide for more information regarding accepting a FWS award.
Students can view available jobs at Lane Job Connection. There are two types of FWS jobs:
- On Campus Jobs: Consist of jobs with various departments around the campus community. Job sites include main campus, Downtown Center, Cottage Grove Center, Flight Technology (at the airport), and Florence.
- Off Campus Jobs/Community Service: Must be with a non-profit organization meeting all non-profit requirements and CANNOT be religiously or politically affiliated. The non-profit organization must be willing to share in the costs for you to work there. They must reimburse the college 30% of what you earn each term. Additional paperwork is required. We have many jobs that qualify for community service jobs and we encourage you to participate in community service activities. For example: The Literacy Program was developed to help young people learn to read. You could be a tutor. Contact a Work Study Advisor at (541) 463-5349 for more information.
If you have been offered a FWS award, additional steps must be taken to accept your award. For further information regarding FWS, you may view the Federal Work Study Guide.
Students currently working in FWS positions may be eligible for a pay raise every two terms during which you remain in the same position. Raises are not automatic and are based on performance. See the Federal Work Study Guide for more information. Students may submit the FWS Student Employee Evalauation form to the Financial Aid Office for consideration.