Chicano/Latino Student Program Coordinator Office
Welcome to the Chicano/Latino Student Program Coordinator resource office! On this website, you will find information about Chicano/Latino Student Program services at Lane Community College. This position was created in 2006, to specifically serve and respond to the growing presence of Latino students at Lane Community College and in Lane County schools. This service is reflective of Lane's current Diversity Plan, Vision, Mission, Core Values, and Strategic Plans for the College. The Chicano/Latino Student Program Coordinator is located in the Multi-Cultural Center, Division of Student Life & Leadership Development, in Building 1, Room 201.
Office Hours/Horas de Oficina
Chicano/Latino Student Program Coordinator
Concepción "Connie" Mesquita Multi-Cultural Center
Building 1, Room 210
- Advise Chicano/Latino students in academic, financial, leadership and cultural affairs
- Assist in the recruitment, retention and academic success of immigrant and native Chicano/Latino students
- Assist students/parents in completing and understanding financial aid and scholarship options
- Assist students with planning and implementing relevant programs and activities on campus and in the community
- Collaborate with various community, local, state, federal programs and agencies, which serve Chicano/Latino student populations
- Provide leadership opportunities for Lane students through classes, presentations and programs
- Coordinate the Puertas Abiertas Leadership Academy for high school students
Latino Success Stories
- The student begins speech pathology career at Lane
- English as a Second Language Leads to First Choice Careers
- Art leads Alex San Pedro to a scholarship and a future
- English as a Second Language Program Builds Skills That Lead to Great Jobs
Edúcate / Educate Yourself
Lane Community College offers a variety of classes to develop an understanding of the Chicano/Mexicano, Latino, Hispanic and Caribbean experiences in the Americas. Please check Lane's Aspire Magazine (Lane Community College Class Schedule) or the online class schedule for current offerings. These classes will have a specific focus on the Chicano/Mexicano, Latino, Hispanic and Caribbean experience. In addition, Lane's faculty is committed to an inclusive teaching and learning environment, incorporating diverse experiences in many class offerings at Lane Community College.
- View a listing of Chicano/Mexicano, Latino, Hispanic and Caribbean Experience classes offered at Lane
Lane Community College offers classes for students to establish a foundation for a successful transition to college. The classes in the document below are recommended for students as resources for successful completion of personal, academic and career goals. Please check the online class schedule for current offerings.
- View a listing of classes recommended for students as resources for successful completion of personal, academic and career goals.
Infórmate / Inform Yourself
The Chicano/Latino Student Program Office identifies resources for students, parents, and educators to assist with high school graduation, college planning, scholarship, and financial aid assistance. Please see the following websites and documents for available resources in Oregon and in the United States.
- Diversity - Direction at Lane
- Espanol Becas/Scholarships para Latinos/as
- View a listing of scholarships to consider applying for
- Hispanic Metropolitan Chamber Scholarships
- Diversity Scholarships
- Scholarships A-Z
- Scholarships for undocumented students
Puertas Abiertas Leadership Academy
The Puertas Abiertas Leadership Academy is an intense academic and cultural enrichment experience for Chicano/Mexicano/Latino high school students in Lane County. Puertas Abiertas students demonstrate a:
- desire to learn about cultural history
- desire to excel in academics
- desire to become a bicultural leader and a
- desire to accomplish goals
The Summer Academy serves to enrich and enhance the academic preparation for the college experience within a framework based on Mexican/Mexican American, Latina/o, Caribbean and Hispanic experiences.
The goal of the program is to develop positive, proactive values and strategies that will maximize students' opportunities for bicultural success. Puertas Abiertas empowers Chicano/Mexicano, Latino/Latina students to negotiate North American mainstream culture while preserving the rich cultural foundations of the Chicano/Latino community. These goals are accomplished through a combination of classroom instruction, workshops, field trips and interaction with Chicano/Latino community members.
The principal objectives of the Puertas Abiertas Leadership Academy:
- Exercise bicultural leadership in the schools and community
- Promote personal growth, biculturalism, and self-confidence.
- Acquire in-depth awareness of educational and career opportunities.
- Gain an awareness of Mexican/Mexican American, Latino, Caribbean and Hispanic experiences in the Americas and schools.
- Foster successful transitions to Lane Community College and four-year colleges & universities.