SACM Sponsored Students
At Lane, we are happy to have the opportunity to work closely with students who are sponsored by the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission. To best serve sponsored students, we present the following guidelines and information, which is subject to change.
Information for New Students
Students new to Lane will need to submit an Enrollment Verification Letter to SACM shortly after Orientation.
Enrollment Verification Letter:
This document will be emailed to new students by International Programs 1-2 days after orientation and registration is completed.
- Students upload this letter to SACM.
- This document is in a SACM-approved format and will not be altered by the International Programs office.
For Credit Students:
- In addition to the Enrollment Verification Letter, students will need to see an academic advisor to create a 2-year graduation plan.
- Students must submit an Enrollment Verification Letter and a 2-year plan to SACM to receive the Financial Gaurantee Letter.
- New students will need to do a 2-year plan in their first term of credit classes even if they took IESL classes at Lane or credit classes at another school.
SACM will send students their Financial Guarantee Letter after they receive the Enrollment Verification Letters and, if required, 2-year plans. Students must submit their Financial Guarantee Letter to the International Programs office immediately upon receipt.
Financial Guarantee Letter:
- Financial Guarantee Letters are issued by SACM after they receive your Enrollment Verification Letter.
- Financial Guarantee Letters must include your name and the name of the school: Lane Community College.
- Financial Guarantee Letters are valid for specific dates. If you are at Lane longer than the last date on the document, you will need to get a new one.
- An official Financial Guarantee Letter must be given to International Programs by 2:00 p.m. on Friday of the second week of the student's first term at Lane. Students, who don't submit Financial Guarantee Letters to International Programs by this date, will be responsible to pay for one term of health insurance at Lane.
Information for all SACM sponsored students or those seeking sponsorship
All sponsored students must go to the online portal of the Saudi Arabia Cultural Mission two times per term and submit their transcripts (another name for Language Reports), at the beginning of the term showing their class schedule and at the end of the term showing official grades.
- International Programs has a transcript available at the front desk for all Saudi students on Friday of the week after final exams and on Wednesday of the second week of term.
- Students will need to pick up their transcript, scan it at Lane's library and then upload it to SACM's student portal.
- International Programs provides transcripts for uploading to SACM only on the dates we specify. For all other purposes and at all other times, students can order transcripts through myLane ($5 fee) or go to Building 1 for an immediately issued transcript ($10 fee).
International Programs does not provide:
- Additional signatures on any documents
- Stamps on any documents
- Attendance reports
- Progress reports outside of transcripts
- Any type of grade or certificate except the transcript
- Additional letters to specific people or employers
International Programs does provide:
- A letter stating that attendance cannot be provided
- A letter explaining what grades mean on the transcript
- Letters to SACM extending ESL study for an additional 6 months
- Two year degree plans for credit students
- Standard enrollment verification letters
- Official transcripts for currently sponsored students at the end of the term after grades are posted
- Unofficial transcripts for all Saudi students on Wednesday of the second week of term
Sponsored Student Expectations & Requirements
- International Programs and the Sponsored Accounts Office will take care of billing your classes to your sponsor. It is important for you to keep all information up to date.
- You must look at your bill in myLane at the end of each term. If your sponsor does not pay you must pay. There are some fees the sponsor will not pay such as parking fines, library fines, photo I.D. or health insurance fees. You must be sure to pay these fees or you will not be able to register for classes.
- You must keep your Financial Guarantee up to date. If it expires, Lane cannot bill SACM for your tuition and fees and you will be required to pay for them. Please see instructions above for how to get a new Financial Guarantee document.
Credit Class Registration:
- You cannot register for music, dance or physical education (PE) courses unless you plan to pay for them yourself.
- You cannot register for any hybrid or online courses without prior approval from your SACM advisor. SACM will normally only pay for one hybrid or online course in your entire degree.
IESL Class Requirements:
- Sponsored IESL students do not register themselves, nor do they choose their classes or times.
- Sponsored IESL students must be prepared to take classes anytime between 8 am and 5 pm Monday through Friday.
- Schedule changes cannot be accommodated.
- SACM students are expected to attend at least 80% of their classes.
- Sponsored students, just like all other students, are expected to attend all of their classes, including afternoons and Fridays.
FERPA Information for SACM Sponsored Students
- FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) and is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records.
- FERPA does allow schools to communicate to sponsoring agencies about sponsored students.
- This means that Lane will report to SACM about your grades, concerns related to behavior, concerns about attendance, financial and health information.
- This also means that Lane will NOT communicate any of the above information to family members or friends, as they are not included in the sponsoring agency exemption of FERPA, except in the case of a life-threatening emergency.
Non-Sponsored Students with Government Insurance Coverage
- Students who are not sponsored for their tuition and fees but have insurance benefits through their government must provide proof of insurance coverage from their sponsor.
- You will need to bring in a letter or other document proving this insurance. The Insurance ID card is not sufficient proof; a letter with policy/coverage documentation is required.
- You must bring this to the International Programs office by 4:00 p.m. on Friday of the first week of your first term. If you do not bring it by this date, you will need to pay for Lane's international student insurance for the term.
If you wish to add children or dependents to Lane's insurance, you must do so by 2:00 p.m. on Friday of the first week of your first term.