Veterans Education Benefits Certification Information
Eligibility Requirements and Documents Required -
Chapter 30: Montgomery Veterans Benefits - Active Duty
Veterans who began active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985. Servicepersons who participate in chapter 30 pay $1,200 towards their chapter 30 benefit. The $1,200 is withheld from their pay during their first 12 months of service and it's non-refundable.
- Entitlement: 36 months. May extend to end of term if benefit monies expire during term. Note: If there is a "kicker" this will not extend to end of term. (Max. of 48 months if eligible for more than one benefit chapter.)
- Chapter 30 "Buy-up": Servicepersons may pay up to $600 more towards Chapter 30. A maximum $600 contribution increases the full-time Chapter 30 benefit by $150/mo.
- Chapter 30 Kickers: A "kicker" is part of the enlistment contract. It's often referred to as the Army College Fund, Navy Sea College Fund, or whatever the newest recruitment ad calls it.
Documentation Required (1st time applicants)
- Application for Benefits VA Form 22-1990
- Member - 4 copy of DD214.
- Have with you the Account No. and Routing No. of your bank or bring with you a voided check so that Direct Deposit can be set up at the time of application.
- If you made the additional $600 contribution to your VA education benefits prior to discharge, documentation needs to be provided - LES's - Leave & Earning Statements, or a signed contract that contribution was made, or a reference on DD214 showing a total of $1,800 ($1,200 + $600) - was contributed to VA education benefits.