Veterans Education Benefits Certification Information
Eligibility Requirements and Documents Required -
Chapter 1606: Veterans Education Benefits - Selected Reserve
Educational program for active members of the Selected Reserve. Selected Reserve components include the Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, and Air National Guard. The Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security (Coast Guard) determine who's eligible for chapter 1606. The Department of Veterans Affairs administers the program and pays benefits. Basic eligibility requires a 6-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve and satisfactory participation in required Selected Reserve training.
- Chapter 1606 Kickers: An additional amount, called a kicker, may be added to the benefit of some chapter 1606 students. The possible monthly kicker levels are $100, $200, and $350. A chapter 1606 kicker may be a part of the original enlistment contract or part of a re-enlistment contract.
- Entitlement: 36 months. (Maximum of 48 months if eligible for more than one benefit chapter.)
- Delimiting Date: 14 years from eligibility date. Date of separation if student leaves the reserves.
Documentation Required (1st time applicants)
- Application for Benefits VA Form 22-1990
- DD2384 – NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility) – Obtain at Guard or Reserve Unit post
- Have with you the Account No. and Routing No. of your bank or bring with you a voided check so that Direct Deposit can be set up at the time application
- Documentation showing your entitlement to an additional "kicker" payment based on your enlistment contract: ($100, $200, $350)