About Phi Theta Kappa
Phi Theta Kappa was established in 1918 by the presidents of the Missouri Junior Colleges for Women. It is the only internationally acclaimed honor society serving two-year institutions that offer associate degree programs. Two-year college presidents and administrators of associate programs in four-year schools have continually recognized membership in Phi Theta Kappa as an honor and privilege. Membership is given added significance by the fact that Phi Theta Kappa is recognized by the American Association of Community Colleges as the official honor society for two-year colleges.
The purpose of Phi Theta Kappa is to recognize and encourage scholarship among associate degree students. To achieve this purpose, Phi Theta Kappa provides opportunity for the development of leadership and service, for an intellectual climate to exchange ideas and ideals, for lively fellowship for scholars, and for stimulation of interest in continuing academic excellence.
The Sigma Zeta Chapter began at Lane Community College in May of 1968. When the Sigma Zeta Chapter began, Lane Community College had less than 1000 students and the dues were $10.00 for new members and $.25 for honorary members.