Alerts and Announcements
June 22, 2016: SUMMER TEMPERATURE GUIDELINES
Summer is here. Yay! With summer comes warmer weather. Lane's indoor summer temperature standards are 74 to 77 degrees F. These were developed to create comfortable conditions for the greatest number of students and staff and to balance a comfortable learning and working environment with energy conservation. Some spaces may be cooler than that, however our Facilities Mgmt & Planning staff try to maintain the 74 to 77 degrees F temperatures because of research that shows the range is more comfortable for people who are transitioning from outdoors to indoors and who are wearing warm weather clothes.
Here are some reminders and tips for you to use to keep cool and save energy this summer:
- Wear lighter clothing if it is warm in your area.
- Hydrate! Drink water during the day.
- Close your blinds during the hottest parts of the day or if the sun is directly hitting the window.
- Use a portable fan or adjust your ceiling fan speed to help cool your body. Please make sure you turn the fan off before you leave work for the day.
- Keep your lights off when you can.
- If you believe that it is hotter than 77 degrees F in your area and you are uncomfortable, please submit a work request to have equipment inspected. Instructions for submitting a work request are here: https://www.lanecc.edu/facilities/work-requests .
June 21, 2016: HANDRAIL DEMOLITION ON JUNE 24 AND 25
Exterior handrails between the second level of Center, Building 17, and Building 18 will be removed on June 24 and 25. There will be staging on the access road below this area. The work will include diesel equipment, dust, and noise. The first level access road will be blocked at the juncture of Center, Building 17, and Building 18. Lane’s Carpenters have built temporary handrails that will remain in place until new handrails are installed. The new handrails will be installed by the end of August. This handrail upgrade is part of a larger and longer-term project to replace all old and out-of-date handrails. Please feel free to contact me with questions or concerns.
June 20, 2016: Updated Instructions for Using the Facilities Work Order System
New and updated instructions for using Lane's Facilities work order system (MegaMation) are now on the Facilities webpage. Go to https://www.lanecc.edu/facilities . Click on "Work Requests" in the left side bar menu. A drop down menu will appear with the options of "Submitting Work Requests," "MegaMation Instructions," "Frequently Asked Questions," and "Contact." The information in the "Submitting Work Requests" link is basic info for new users and people who want to become new users. The information in the "MegaMation Instructions" link is step-by-step instructions for entering a work order on MegaMation. The "Frequently Asked Questions" link includes instructions to find out answers to questions like "What is the status of my work order?" and "What is the priority of my work order?" This new section of the website is meant to be useful for you, so please let me know if you have suggestions for improving it.
June 2016 General Updates
Center for Learning and Student Success
- A small amount of work remains on this Bond project including minor adjustments to improve the heating, ventilation and air conditioning system.
Building 18 Second Floor Remodel
- The design team is creating construction documents for this Bond project. Construction is slated to begin in mid-July with substantial completion by December 2016. This project has received a seismic rehabilitation grant which will enable the college to bring the building up to current seismic life safety codes.
Central Plant Upgrade
- The new chillers have been installed in the new chiller building. They are operational and cooling the campus reliably and efficiently. Building 12 piping modifications above Machine Technology are completed and piping modification in the boiler room are ongoing. Installation of new transformers occurred in June without a hitch.
- Regular maintenance for this month includes pruning and weeding at Building 4. We are assisting with the Building 26 playground improvements by locating and modifying irrigation valves and moving play structures. Other projects include mowing and string trimming the grassy hill north of public safety, mowing the hills around Building 8 and the Test Cells, mowing parking lot islands, and fertilizing and seeding the baseball field.
- The team's safety record is now over 542 days without a time-loss accident!
Facilities Project Updates
- Building 26 playground: Excavation and backfill work are scheduled to start on June 13th. The Grounds crew will follow with irrigation installation, seeding and planting.
- Florence security upgrade: Improvements will include installation of three card-readers and emergency lockdown capability for these three doors. Work is underway and nearing completion.
- Center for Meeting and Learning dishwasher: This installation is underway.
- Exterior handrail upgrade: As part of a larger and longer-term project to replace all old and out-of-date handrails, Facilities will be replacing the exterior wooden handrails between Buildings 17, 18, and Center. The project is scheduled to start with demo the week of June 20th.
- Blue Door Theater Tech Booth Improvements: The engineering on this project is complete and the permit has been obtained. Lane’s trades will do this project this summer.
- Bike Lane Maintenance and Storage Building: A Bike Lane maintenance and storage building that will be constructed just to the west of Building 5 is in design. The popular Bike Lane program and this construction project are both funded by Lane’s Transportation Fund. Demolition and site work is expected to begin in July.
- Building 3 Safety and Security Improvements: An architect is working on conceptual designs to improve Building 3 security.
- Resurfacing the Gym Floor: This summer the gym floor will be resurfaced and repainted to accommodate the new Lane Titan Volleyball team.
- Gym Lighting Control Upgrade: Design is in progress and installation will happen over the summer.
- Concrete Safety Improvements: This project will fix several areas on campus with cracked or worn concrete that creates tripping hazards. Concrete installation and repairs near the compactor and on the sidewalks west of Building 19 are underway.
- Archives Move from old DTC to Main Campus (Building 7): The Facilities, Archives, and Library departments have worked together to find a (hopefully!) permanent location for Lane’s archives in Building 7. The location is where the laundry previously operated. Design work has begun and FMP is in the process of obtaining bids to demo out old laundry-specific piping.