Responsible Executive Authority
The purpose of this procedure is to describe the process to be followed for the administration of a construction contract and related activity required to complete the contract.
There are several types of construction delivery systems, and the roles of the college and contractor differ according to the system used. While there are differences every construction project follows the same sequence of events. The procedure noted below outlines the sequence of events and generally describes the process that is followed.
Written contracts and agreements are maintained for all college construction projects. Projects include all buildings and facilities construction, equipment, landscaping, major reconstruction and repair projects, and other significant uses of budgeted capital project funds. The Director of Facilities Management and Planning is responsible for college construction projects including the stewardship of all contractual documents, plans, building permits, etc.
The following procedure is followed for the administration of a construction contract and related activity required to complete the contract.
1. Construction documents: The Director of Facilities Management and Planning directs and supervises the development of drawings and specifications for construction projects, and establishes a uniform title or common reference for each project in accordance with established procedures. The Vice President for College Services (or designee), the department head(s) affected, and all other key individuals or department personnel who will occupy/operate/support the project will be involved in development and review of the planning process. The Director of Facilities Management and Planning (or designee) approves the final construction documents, and initiates the bidding process.
2. Bidding process: The Director of Facilities Management and Planning (or designee) submits the final construction documents to the Chief Finance Officer (or designee) for review and processing. Bids on the approved project are advertised, received, and compiled by the Chief Finance Officer (or designee) in accordance with established purchasing laws and procedures.
The Chief Finance Officer (or designee) prepares a recapitulation of the bids and, if appropriate, a recommendation to award a contract. The recap and recommendation are submitted to the President by the Vice President for College Services (or designee.) When appropriate, project award recommendations may be submitted to the president and to the Board of Education by the Vice President for College Services. Then the contract is awarded in accordance with established public purchasing law.
3. Construction Administration. There are several types of construction contracts, and each type is appropriate to the particulars of the project. The Director of Facilities Management and Planning supervises the preparation of the contract, has all documents signed by the contractor and the clerk/deputy clerk of the college, and secures the appropriate performance insurance and bonds (if applicable) from the contractor. Fully executed originals of the contract, insurance, and bonds are distributed to the contractor and College Finance. Copies are sent to the architect/engineer recorded in the project files in Facilities Management and Planning.
4. The architect/engineer issues a Notice to Proceed to the contractor, and construction of the project commences. Wage certifications are obtained from the contractor and filed by the Director of Facilities Management and Planning (or designee.)
5. Change orders are prepared by the architect/engineer, and are submitted to the contractor for a cost estimate and changes (if any) to the completion schedule. Those change orders that change the floor plans of the occupants are submitted to the affected department head for review and approval. The change orders are then reviewed and approved by the Director of Facilities Management and Planning and the Vice President for College Services (or designee). If approved, they are submitted to be signed by a clerk/deputy clerk of the college. The distribution of change orders is identical to the distribution of the contract (see #3 above).
6. The contractor initiates and submits to the architect/engineer all applications for payment or partial payment of the contract for review and approval. The architect/engineer forwards approved applications to the Director of Facilities Management and Planning for college approval. All approved requests for partial and full payment are transmitted to College Finance for processing.
7. When contracted work has been substantially completed, the architect/engineer completes a Certification of Substantial Completion and submits it to the Director of Facilities Management and Planning. The architect/engineer also submits a list ("punch list") of those items not yet completed. The Certification of Substantial Completion is processed in the same manner as the original contract. The date that the Certificate of Substantial Completion is fully executed is the beginning of the contractor's warrantees. At this time, the college assumes ownership of the facility and commences using it.
8. When all punch list items have been completed, the Director of Facilities Management and Planning initiates final acceptance of the facility.
9. Post-contract work: Today's buildings employ many technologies and issues frequently arise after the contractor has formally completed the contract and the building is occupied. These are addressed and resolved under the direction of the Director of Facilities Management and Planning.