Why Tobacco Free?
- Why pursue a tobacco-free or smoke-free environment?
- Answers to frequently asked questions.
- Most employees and students desire a tobacco free campus
- In Their Own Words - Quotes from employees and students
- Time Chart of Tobacco Free Discussions at Lane Community College
- Tools so you can educate others about the new policy.
- Reasons why colleges should go tobacco-free
- University of Oregon will be tobacco free by 2012
- American College Health Association (ACHA) Position Statemen
- List of Colleges and Universities with 100% tobacco-free campus policies
The students, staff, and administration all came together to make LCC campuses and centers tobacco free, with a few designated smoking areas on LCC's main campus. We invite you to use the resources offered here and join us in creating a better place to learn.
All Students and Employees
- American Lung Association of Oregon
- American Cancer Society
- Office of the Surgeon General
- Second Hand Smoke Information
- A New Cigarette Hazard: 'Third-Hand Smoke'
Did you know....
Tobacco use costs Oregonians approximately $2 billion? Read the full 2009 Oregon Tobacco Facts report.
Financial Impact on Individual
Buying cigarettes every day for 50 years @ $3.75/pack for generic or $5.25/pack for brand name. Money banked monthly, earning 5.5% interest
In addition to the many health benefits of quitting, there are financial benefits of quitting.
The financial costs of tobacco use can be substantial to a smoker, particularly when costs are accrued over a lifetime.
What three levels of smokers who buy cigarettes every day for 50 years at $3.75 for generic or $5.25 per pack for brand name (Marlboro) will have if they instead bank their cigarette money each month.** Prices based on 2005 costs in California markets.
|1 pack a day:||$358,642||$502,098|
|1.5 packs a day:||$537,962||$753,147|
|2 packs a day:||$717,283||$1,004,196|
** Assumes constant price per pack, an annual interest rate of 5.5% (not adjusted for inflation), and that the money was banked monthly. View the calculate the cost of smoking tool.