Responsible Executive Authority
The purpose of this policy is to:
- Enable volume purchasing power
- Ensure compatibility with other college software purchases
- Ensure software license compliance and avoid fines or penalties
- Reduce inconsistent niche software purchases
- Prevent the loss of software media
- Ensure timely software updating in classrooms and labs
This policy applies to all purchased software to be installed on or accessed by Lane Community College computers by any employees or students. Software purchases not in keeping with this policy will not be approved for payment by Accounts Payable.
All software purchases are coordinated with the Information Technology Department.
In reviewing a request for software, Information Technology will evaluate the purchase based in part on the following criteria:
- Is the software used in the college already?
- Can the purchase be bundled with other current or previous purchases to lower per seat costs?
- Is the software of the same genre as another package already used at the college?
- Does LCC already have unused licenses for the software that can be utilized at no additional cost?
- Will the software work with systems already in place?
- Is the hardware capable of running the software?
- Does this software provide sufficient data security protection?
- Can license counts be increased on an existing purchase agreement to lower costs?
- In the case of cloud-based services, does the service duplicate an already available service?
- Can/should the cloud-based service be utilized by other departments to lower costs?
Software: Operating systems, network operating systems, computer applications, cloud-based software, or software services (SAAS.)