This procedure describes the process an employee or supervisor is to take when requesting access. In general, access to the College's administrative system is restricted. It also describes the appeal process should a request be denied.
The College identifies the following staff as data custodians for information stored in Banner, the institutional administrative system:
● Student Module, Helen Garrett
Dean of Enrollment Management Systems
● Financial Aid Module, Helen Faith
Director, Student Financial Services
● Employee Module, Dennis Carr
Executive Director of Human Resources
● Financial Module, Greg Holmes
● Technical Access, Bill Schuetz
Chief Information Officer
● Aggregate Reporting, Craig Taylor
Director, Institutional Research, Assessment & Planning
The employee and/or the employee's supervisor may request access by e-mailing the appropriate data custodian. Responses will happen within 10 business days.
For access to the Student Module, please fill in the Banner Student System Access Request form and send the filled-in copy to BannerStudentModuleAccess@lanecc.edu.
The data custodian will:
1. Evaluate the data access request;
2. Approve or deny the request;
3. Inform the requester of the access decision;
4. Ensure that appropriate training occurs and that the employee reaches adequate levels of competency; and
5. Initiate the access implementation process.
Because most college data is confidential, data custodians will always consider "need to know" when evaluating access requests.
ACCESS DENIAL APPEAL
If a data custodian denies the access request, the staff member or supervisor requesting access may appeal the decision, in writing, to the supervisor of the data custodian. The appeal must be submitted within 10 working days of the date of the denial and should include a copy of the notification that the request was denied, and a written statement of why the decision deserves reconsideration. The data custodian's supervisor may request additional information from the data custodian. Decisions resulting from this appeal process are final.