College Information Technology policy is to implement and maintain Banner and related administrative computer systems as closely as possible to the baseline product(s) delivered by the vendor. This policy applies to any software system maintained by the Information Technology Department. Any modifications must be requested for evaluation by the Information Technology Department.
College Information Technology policy is to implement and maintain Banner and related administrative computer systems as closely as possible to the baseline product(s) delivered by the vendor.
This policy applies to any software system maintained by the Information Technology Department.
The college defines an Administrative Computer System Baseline Modification as a programming change to a form, table, view, process or other object that must be re-applied when the system is updated to a new version supplied by the vendor.
The purpose of this policy is to:
- Maximize the benefits of vendor updates,
- Reduce the time needed to test and apply system upgrades,
- Minimize the commitment of staff time to program, test, apply and re-apply system modifications,
- Simplify system debugging and testing, and
- Maintain the college's ability to obtain vendor support if the system is not operating as expected.
In reviewing a request for a system modification, Information Technology will evaluate if the change is required to:
- Meet a contractual or regulatory requirement,
- Provide critical information to the college Board of Education or administration,
- Protect student and/or staff privacy, or
- Meet a critical business need that cannot be accomplished without making the modification.
Before approving a modification, Information Technology and the requestor of the modification will review the following:
- Can the contractual or regulatory issue be addressed in some other way?
- Can critical information be provided using tools that do not modify the system?
- Is the business need a "best practice"?
- Is the investment of programmer time justified by an equal or greater reduction of staff time to complete the business process without the modification?
- Can the modification be made and maintained relatively simply?
Information Technology will maintain a detailed log of all Banner modifications that are approved.