An Incomplete can be assigned when a student has satisfactorily completed 75 percent or more of the course work as defined by the instructor, but is unable to finish the remaining required scheduled work due to circumstances beyond the student’s control. An Incomplete grade is not used to avoid a failing grade or to address student convenience. This procedure describes the steps taken by the instructor and the student to submit to the registrar a grading notation of Incomplete.
- Assigning an Incomplete requires mutual agreement between the student and instructor, outlined in a contract (syllabus or written agreement) that contains the following: a description of the work to be completed, a deadline for its completion, and a standard grade that will be earned if the deadline is not met. Unless the student is unavailable, due to circumstances beyond their control, a decision to enter an Incomplete needs to be agreed to by the time grades are entered. The instructor should complete the Incomplete Agreement form with the student.
- If a student is not available to consider a mutual agreement, under circumstances beyond the student’s control, an instructor may issue an Incomplete with an understanding that follow up will occur with the student at a later time to create a contract for a resolution of the Incomplete.
- It is the instructor's responsibility to enter the grade of Incomplete, into the grading system including the deadline to submit completed work and the standard grade (A, B, C, D or F) a student will earn, if a grade change form has not been submitted.
- The student is responsible for understanding the terms of the contract. The student shall not register again for the Incomplete course (graded or audit) during the term of the Incomplete.
- In general, a grade of Incomplete is to be made up within one primary term from the last day of the original term the course was taken. The registrar will work within the system to send out reminder notifications to the student and the instructor (or responsible administrator), prior to the expiration of the incomplete grade.
- When for unavoidable reasons, the student is unable to complete the terms of the contract an extension may be approved by the instructor.
- If a grade change form has not been submitted,by the end of the contract date, as set by the student and instructor, the Incomplete will convert to a standard grade as determined by the terms of the contract.