Although the college's preferred method of hiring utilizes external advertisement (see Hiring Process), a department or unit may request approval to appoint without internal or external advertisement when a particular need exists. This procedure describes the circumstances under which a request may be made, the criteria by which Human Resources will evaluate the request, and the process for submitting a request.
A department or unit may request approval to appoint without internal or external advertisement when there is a need:
- To fill a position on an interim basis following the termination of a permanent employee or
- To transfer an employee to a different position on a permanent or interim basis due to restructuring or reorganization, to resolve a complaint or grievance, or to provide disability accommodations.
Approval will be denied if the employment action is shown to be discriminatory in effect or is being recommended in order to circumvent standard procedures for providing promotional or other employment opportunities.
Requests must meet the following criteria:
- There is a compelling business necessity (e.g., restructuring, reorganization, remedial action to resolve a complaint, provide disability accommodations, etc.) and the appointee meets the minimum qualifications of the permanent position (unless circumstances prohibit this); or
- There is not reasonable or adequate time to conduct either an internal or external search and hire a qualified applicant for the vacant position; and
- The appointment is not expected to exceed 12 months; and
- The department agrees to obtain preapproval for any extensions of the 12-month appointment period; and
- A permanent employee will be hired according to the standard recruitment process at the end of the temporary period of appointment; and
- The appointee meets the minimum qualifications of the permanent position (unless circumstances prohibit this); and
- The appointee may apply for the permanent position but must openly compete with other candidates; and
- The appointee will not be given unfair advantage when the position is advertised to other applicants; and
- The appointee and others displaced by the interim appointment will be returned to their original positions at the end of the appointment, except under special conditions.
Requests to appoint without advertisement must be submitted in writing, using the Temporary Appointment Recommendation form. Documentation of compliance with the criteria listed above must be provided on the form or on an attachment. All signatures indicated on the Temporary Appointment form are required. Requests to extend interim appointments approved under this procedure must also be submitted in writing using the Temporary Appointment form. Extensions must be approved in advance and will be considered on a case-by-case basis, according to the explanation of circumstances provided on the Temporary Appointment form.