Responsible Executive Authority
Classroom interruptions for any situation other than an emergency will be avoided. This procedure offers examples of situations that qualify as emergencies, and identifies as the Enrollment and Student Financial Services Department as responsible for communicating with the affected student.
Students are notified of emergency messages that involve a death, illness, injury, accident, or a threat to a student's livelihood or property. Examples are:
- An ill or injured child who requires parental consent for treatment if the parent is a Lane Community College student;
- A family or household member who is either injured or ill and needs transportation;
- A student's employer who calls regarding a business emergency where the student's job may depend on their response; or
- A student who may own or be responsible for livestock or other animals that have escaped confinement.
Note: The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (34CFR99) states that even in an emergency situation, confidential information may be released ONLY if knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health and safety of the student and/or other individuals. Confidential information includes a student's whereabouts on campus. Confidential information is not to be released except on approval of the Dean of Enrollment Management Services. Any call received by the campus switchboard or a department and identified as an emergency message for a student shall be transferred to Enrollment and Student Financial Services.
All student emergency messages received by Enrollment and Student Financial Services are handled as follows:
- If the call is received from the switchboard or a department, an attempt is made to deliver the message. Contact is made with the department in closest proximity to the student's scheduled class area; and
- If Enrollment and Student Financial Services is unable to locate the student or is unable to make the emergency message delivery, Enrollment Services will contact the originator and let them know the message cannot be delivered.