Responsible Executive Authority
Students are notified of emergency messages that involve a death, illness, injury, accident, or a threat to a student's livelihood or property. This procedure offers examples of messages that would be considered emergencies, and designates Enrollment and Student Financial Services as responsible for communicating with the student. Classroom interruptions for all other than emergency situations will be avoided.
Classroom interruptions for all other than emergency situations will be avoided. In an emergency situation, when prompt notification of the student is necessary, Enrollment Services will take responsibility, according to Emergency Messages to Students, to contact students with as little classroom disruption as possible.
- When student contact is necessary, but prompt notification is not, those making contact will reach the student by phone whenever possible, rather than any form of classroom contact.
- When phone contact is not possible, an attempt will be made to have the instructor deliver a message to the student, or to contact the student prior to or after the class session.
- Student schedules will be released by Enrollment Services to department staff to locate students for school business in the school/student relationship.
- Although holders of releases signed by students may acquire copies of student schedules, the instructor need not permit visitors to the classroom.
Note: The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (34CFR99) states that even in an emergency situation, confidential information may be released ONLY if knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health and safety of the student and/or other individuals. Confidential information includes a student's whereabouts on campus. Confidential information is not to be released except on approval of the Dean, Enrollment Management Systems. Any call received by the campus switchboard or a department and identified as an emergency message for a student shall be transferred to Enrollment and Student Financial Services.
All student emergency messages received by Enrollment and Student Financial Services are handled as follows:
1. If the call is received from the switchboard or a department, an attempt is made to deliver the message. Contact is made with the department in closest proximity to the student's scheduled class area; and
2. If Enrollment Services is unable to locate the student or is unable to make the emergency message delivery, Enrollment Services will contact the originator and let them know the message cannot be delivered.