This procedure describes the process for students with disabilities who are seeking an Associated of Arts Oregon Transfer (AAOT) Degree to request a course substitution.
The following procedure has been developed by the Center for Accessible Resources (CAR) for Course Substitution requests from students with disabilities who are attempting to complete an Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer (AAOT) Degree. This is in cooperation with the 2013 decision by the Joint Boards Articulation Commission (JBAC-Oregon).
- This procedure applies to the AAOT Degree sought through Lane Community College.
- Course Substitution is the most common way to implement the legal accommodation: program modification.
- Only Course Substitutions, not course waivers, are considered in this process.
When a student seeking an AAOT degree requests a Course Substitution, CAR will perform the following steps:
- CAR will clarify whether the student has been working with the Instructional Division related to the course in question. If not, CAR may choose to refer the student to the appropriate Division Dean.
- CAR will analyze the student's disability documentation in terms of type, severity and relevance to the requested substitution.
- CAR will review the student's transcript to determine:
- whether the student has attempted and not passed the course/s in question, despite having used appropriate accommodations and other college resources. (This is not a requirement for approving a course substitution, but may be a factor.)
- the student's academic performance history and any informal/formal transcript evaluation.
CAR will confirm that the student is "otherwise qualified" according to the ADA to participate in the degree program, as specified in the AAOT program requirements.
- If pertinent, CAR will explore alternatives to a course substitution with the student (such as other degrees or other courses), without violating the student's right to obtain the preferred degree.
- CAR will consult with the Executive Dean for Academic Transfer in order to consider the appropriateness of a course substitution.
- If a course substitution is a viable option, CAR will consult with appropriate personnel (e.g., the Math Division Dean and the Executive Dean for Academic Transfer). This group will determine potential courses that could be approved as course substitutions, taking into consideration courses the student has already completed. Someone from this group will consult or follow up with the student.
- The CAR Associate Dean will send a memo to the Dean of Enrollment Management Systems that provides a specific recommendation related to legal risks if the College chooses not to approve the request.
- The memo will include the course substitution recommendations from STEP 4.
- The memo will request confirmation about the final decision for that student's request.
Please see also Disabilities: Course Substitutions for Students with Disabilities Seeking a Terminal Degree at Lane and Course Substitution.