This procedure describes the steps to take when requesting a different schedule on a permanent basis or for temporary occasions. All college offices are expected to be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on all regular working days of the college. Departments that need to operate regularly on a different schedule must obtain approval to do so from the appropriate vice president or the President (Executive Services, only).
Regular Hours of Operation
All college offices are expected to be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on all regular working days of the college. Departments that need to operate regularly on a different schedule must obtain approval to do so from the appropriate vice president or the President (Executive Services, only). Requests will be reviewed with reference to the following considerations:
- What is the impact on students, staff and members of the public?
- Is there a business necessity for non-standard operating hours?
- Is the need for non-standard operating hours due to staffing limitations?
Temporary Changes in Hours of Operation
Temporary changes in a department's regular operating hours (such as during break periods, summer term, etc.) are subject to the approval process outlined above.
Guidelines for scheduling isolated department closures that do not result in a change in a department's regular operating hours are described below in "Department Closures."
Each department is responsible for ensuring that department information and services are available to students, staff and members of the public during the department's regular operating hours.
It is recognized that departments may occasionally need to close during the department's regular operating hours to:
- Conduct staff development activities;
- Hold department meetings; or
- Accommodate scheduling emergencies.
Department administrators are authorized to schedule department closures as needed but are expected to consider the impact on students, staff and members of the public in the scheduling process. All closures are subject to the following guidelines.
- Someone must be present in the office during the closure to provide assistance to students, staff and members of the public. If this is not possible due to staffing limitations, clear directions must be posted to another office where assistance will be provided during the closure. Assistance must be available during all regular department working hours.
- Students, staff and members of the public must be able to transact all their business during regular department working hours (obtaining department permission for classes, paying bills, submitting job applications, etc.). Another department may be empowered to transact business for the closed department during the closure period.
- Signs must be posted at the department office in advance of the closure, with dates and times of the planned closure.
- If another department is empowered to transact business for the closed department, that department must be notified in advance of the dates and times of the closure.
- Any non-emergency closure of 4 or more hours must be posted at least 5 working days in advance:
- On the College Online Events Calendar on Lane's Home Page; and
- In The Weekly.
- Employees who accrue paid vacation leave can't be required to use that leave during a closure. Employees who choose to work during such closures rather than use paid vacation leave must be allowed to work. It is the manager's responsibility to determine where the employee will work during the closure.
Guidelines for emergency closures (such as closures due to weather emergencies, mechanical breakdowns, air quality issues, etc.) are provided in the Emergency Plan. Department administrators are not authorized to approve emergency closures except as provided in that plan. Departments are not expected to provide services on days that the college is closed due to hazardous weather conditions, mechanical breakdowns or other emergency circumstances.