Responsible Executive Authority
This procedure describes the respective roles of Division Dean/Department Manager. legal counsel, and Executive Dean/Vice President with regard to contract approval.
Note: This procedure does not apply to grants and contracts that are subject to the grant approval or renewal process.
1.The originating Division Dean/Department Manager reviews the contract or agreement and discusses it with their Executive Dean to get their approval to move forward.
2. The Division Dean/Department Manager will send the contract (in electronic form when possible) to the Vice President's assistant with the following information:
- Whether the contract is:
i. An approved form contract;
ii. A contract that has been used before and has been reviewed within the last 5 years;
iii. A contract that has been used before but has been changed beyond just the name, dates, dollars or deliverables or has not been reviewed within the last 5 years;or
iv. A contract that is new for the college.
- Contact information for the other party to the contract (name, telephone number and email address) and for the responsible Lane manager.
- If the contract is an amendment to a previously signed contract, a copy of the original contract must be provided.
- Confirmation that the Executive Dean has approved the contract.
3. The Vice President's assistant will send a/the cop(ies) of the contract, along with the information provided above, to legal counsel for review with standard review time required of 10 working days.
4. Lane's legal counsel will work directly with the Lane contact person and the other party's contact person either by phone, email or in writing to make any necessary revisions and/or respond to questions. When revisions are complete, legal counsel will return the original(s) of the contract to the Vice President's assistant stamped "Reviewed and Approved" with the date and signature of Lane legal counsel on the signature page of the contract.
5. The Vice President's assistant will have three copies signed by a Clerk or Deputy Clerk and process them as follows. Only Clerks and Deputy Clerks have the authority to sign contracts and bind the college
- If the "other party" has already signed the contract, the Vice President's assistant will keep one copy and send the other two copies back to the originating Division Dean/Department Manager for him/her to keep one copy and return one copy to the "other party."
- If the "other party" has not signed the contract, the Vice President's assistant will send three signed original contracts to the Division Dean/Department Manager for him/her to send all three copies to the "other party" for signature by the "other party" who will keep one original and return two originals to the Division Dean/Department Manager. The Division Dean/Department Manager will keep one original and return the other to the Vice President's assistant for archiving.