At a glance calendar
TRANSPORTATION SURVEY INDICATES EMPLOYEE AND STUDENT COMMUTING IS MORE CLIMATE-FRIENDLY THAN PREVIOUSLY ESTIMATED
July 8, 2014
The results of Lane's 2014 Transportation Survey are in. You may be surprised to learn that 29% of respondents ride the bus, 7% carpool, 4% bicycle, and 58% drive alone. This data will result in a decrease of our estimated carbon footprint because Lane previously estimated that about 80% of commuters drive alone. The survey results also provided information as to what programs or incentives will better encourage Lane commuters to choose more climate-friendly modes. The most popular program is the bus pass, followed by safe bicycle/pedestrian routes. Based on the survey results, Lane's Commuter Emissions Task Force will be developing recommendations for how to further reduce emissions from commuting. Click here to view survey results. Thank you to all employees and students who took the survey. $20 gift cards to the Titan Store were awarded to randomly-selected respondents.
CLIMATE ACTION AND EDUCATION FORUM - VIDEOS, Q&A, AND MORE
On Friday, May 9, 2014, the Institute for Sustainable Practices hosted a Climate Action and Education Forum that included presentations by three experts who each have a unique perspective about solutions to climate change. Environmental scientist Paul Ruscher, Ph.D., demystified climate science by debunking the top 10 climate myths; Russ Pierson, DMin, Global Leadership, discussed the social impacts of climate change; and psychologist and author, Don Schneider, Ph.D., presented concrete tools for positively influencing climate skeptics so that we can all be done with the senseless bickering and begin focusing on the vastly more important work of mitigation and adaptation.
Links to the videos of the forum, presenters powerpoint presentations, and written answers to questions posed during the forum are provided here.
- Event Agenda
- Video of Paul Ruscher, Ph.D., Demystifying the Science of Climate Change by Debunking Climate Change Denial
- Paul Ruscher's Powerpoint presentation
- Video of Russ Pierson, DMin, Environmental Justice: Social Dimensions of Climate Change
- Russ Pierson's Powerpoint presentation
- Video of Don Schneider, Ph.D., Communicating Across the Divides in our Everyday Lives for Constructive Dialogue about Social and Environmental Concerns, and the Progress of Civilization
- Notes from small group discussion
- Questions and Answers