About the program...
The Senior Companion Program, part of the National Senior Service Corps, is funded in part by the national government and by the local communities of Lane County. The Senior Companion Program of Lane County improves the quality of life for the citizens of Lane County by providing supportive services and companionship to disabled and isolated adults. Senior Companions in Lane County benefit from service opportunities by participating in caregiving activities with other professionals and by building self esteem through vital community service.
- Make a difference in people's lives
- Are men and women age 55+
- Volunteer 15-30 hours weekly
- Meet low income guidelines
- Receive extensive training and support
- Receive an hourly tax-exempt stipend
- Receive some reimbursement for meals and mileage
SCP volunteer at their Annual Recogniton Gala
In the past 30 years Senior Companions have provided more than 2 million hours of assistance service and companionship to the citizens of Lane County.
Each year, approximately 70 Senior Companions work each month to provide services to over 500 seniors and disabled adults in Junction City, Florence, Veneta, Eugene, Springfield, Oakridge, Creswell, and Cottage Grove.
These Years Can Be Vital
"It's hard to believe that my own life can be so different, so much more rewarding."
"I can't begin to tell you how much being a Senior Companion has meant to me, not just financially, but the satisfaction of knowing I am really helping make other people's lives a little better..."
"Now I know how separated from the world I have been. Yes, it's others we're helping, but now it helps me too."
A Little Help From An Older Friend
- An elderly person with health problems and difficulty moving around was about to be moved from a public housing project. With the help of the Senior Companion, she has been able to stay in her apartment and avoid having to go to a nursing home.
- A Senior Companion visits a bedridden elderly woman each week, while the relative who usually takes care of her receives medical treatment.
- A Senior Companion reads to and writes letters for a woman in a nursing home. This has enabled her to maintain close contact with her family, which is very important to her happiness.
For more information about the Senior Companion Program, see our Locations and Hours.
To see a list of agencies who provide Senior Companions, see our Senior Companion Program Sites.
Note: Please contact the individual sites to request a Senior Companion.