Our mission is to help students develop themselves musically. We provide and maintain a high-quality program for students who are:
- Planning to transfer to colleges and universities as music majors.
- Seeking training in Music Technology and Commercial Music production.
- Desiring to enrich their lives with the experience of music.
Did You Know-
- The Lane Music, Dance and Theatre Arts Department has the largest community college music program in Oregon.
- Every year the Lane Music, Dance and Theatre Arts Department awards over $15,000 in music scholarships plus 18- Talent Grants (pay 12-credits of tuition) and an additional $5,000 in individual lesson scholarships available for 2014/2015.
- Lane's music program is designed so that, upon completion, music students can transfer to any Oregon state college or university as a junior.
- The Instruction at Lane is top quality. The highly-skilled instructors provide a personal, caring atmosphere in which student growth and success are given first priority.
Ensembles are fun to participate in and help build a sense of camaraderie between students. Interested in joining our community? One of our ensembles may be just the right choice for you!
Symphonic Band - Comprised of brass, woodwinds and percussion, this group plays all styles of band literature. No audition required.
Chamber Orchestra - Comprised primarily of strings, with some brass and woodwinds, this orchestra requires an audition.
Jazz Ensemble - Limited to six saxophones, five trumpets, five trombones, piano, bass, guitar, and drum set. Players in this group are also members of Symphonic Band. Audition required.
Jazz Combo - This course is for instrumentalists/vocalists wishing to study jazz in a small group (combo) setting. Emphasis is placed on performance as well as elements of jazz theory. No audition required.
Concert Choir - Large mixed chorus singing a variety of music. No audition required.
Chamber Choir - Small group of advanced singers exploring music from the Medieval period to the present. Audition required.
"Spectrum" Vocal Jazz Ensemble - This award-winning group of approximately sixteen singers and four combo members must be extremely committed to jazz, excellence and the group. Auditions required.
Gospel Choir - New to Lane for Fall term 2009, the Gospel Choir explores the wide-ranging spectrum of Gospel Music in America. No audition required!
For audition information, dates, and times contact
Paul Krueger for Bands at (541) 463-5045
Matt Svoboda for Chamber Choir at (541) 463-5045
Katheryn Reuter for Concert Choir at (541) 463-5184
Vicki Brabham for Gospel Choir at (541) 463-5184
A talent grant is a scholarship equivalent to 12 credits. These grants are awarded on the basis of talent, attitude and work ethic. Any student who substantially contributes to at least two Lane performing ensembles is eligible; grants are not limited to music majors. The grants are awarded by audition for Winter and Spring terms. A total of 18 grants are given for instrumental and vocal students.
Individual Lesson Scholarships:
Music majors are required to take private lessons. For the hardworking student, the music department uses concert proceeds to help defray the cost of private instruction. The amount awarded varies depending upon ticket sales. Individual Lesson scholarships are awarded by audition for Winter and Spring terms.
For more information about any aspect of the music program, contact any of the music faculty.