Tax Information - How to Request A Tax Transcript
If you were unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (or if you chose not to use the retrieval tool) when you filed your FAFSA, you can request an IRS Tax Return Transcript one of three ways: online, by telephone, or by mail. The simple instructions for each are below. (Note that if an amended return was filed, a tax return transcript AND a tax account transcript is needed).
IMPORTANT: Be sure to keep a copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcript for your records and write the student ID number (L number) on your transcript before submitting it to Lane.
Online: Receive instant access to your .PDF Tax Return Transcript or request a paper Tax Return Transcript by mail.
- Available on the IRS web site at www.irs.gov.
- In the "Tools" section of the homepage, select "Get Transcript of Your Tax Records".
- Select "Get Transcript ONLINE", or "Get Transcript by Mail".
- If selecting "Get Transcript ONLINE", you will need to create an account and follow the steps to receive instant access to a .PDF of your Tax Return Transcript. Be sure to choose "Return Transcript".
- If selecting "Get Transcript by MAIL", enter your information and select "Return Transcript" as the type of transcript requested. Transcripts arrive in 5 to 10 calendar days.
By Telephone: Receive a paper copy of your Tax Return Transcript by contacting the IRS.
- Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946
- Follow the prompts to enter your Social Security number and street address.
- Select "Option 2" to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter the appropriate tax year (Amended filers will also choose the IRS Tax Account Transcript option).
- If successfully validated, you can expect to receive the paper Tax Return Transcript at the address that was used in the telephone request within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
By Mail: Receive a paper copy of your Tax Return Transcript by downloading, completing and mailing the 4506T-EZ form to the IRS (or form 4506-T for amended returns).
- IRS form 4506T-EZ should be used instead of 4506-T because it is the simplest way to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript. (If an amended return was filed, an IRS Form 4506-T must be used).
- Download the paper request 4506T-EZ form at www.irs.gov. Fill out the form completely. Note that Line 5 provides tax filers with the option to have their IRS Tax Return Transcript mailed directly to a third party by the IRS. You should not use this option so that you are able to copy it for your records before submitting.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS form to the appropriate address or fax number provided on page 2 of the form.
- If successfully validated, you can expect to receive the transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes the request. NOTE: processing form 4506T-EZ means verifying/validating the information provided on the form. If any information does not match IRS records, the IRS will notify you that it was not able to provide the transcript.
When filling out the tax filer's address, use the address currently on file with the IRS. Generally this will be the address that was listed on the last tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.