Applying for Aid - Helpful Hints
- APPLY ELECTRONICALLY. This will reduce the likelihood of errors and will save you time. Use the FAFSA on the Web Worksheet to assist in collecting the required information before completing FAFSA on the Web.
- Complete only one FAFSA for each school year. Exception: If you filed using an incorrect Social Security number, you must complete a new FAFSA using your correct Social Security number. Do not submit a paper FAFSA if you have already completed an electronic application.
- Read the application instructions thoroughly. Take your time completing the application. Mistakes can cost you time which may result in lower funding.
- View your SAR (Student Aid Report) carefully. The SAR will be sent to you from the US Department of Education either by email or mail. Make sure all information you reported is correct and be sure Lane is listed to receive your information.
- Keep a printout or copy of your submitted FAFSA information. Also, keep copies of tax returns, W-2s, and all other documents used to complete your application.
- Be sure you have a current admission application on file, have been accepted to Lane as a credit student, and have declared a valid degree or certificate program.
- Respond promptly to all requested information. Requests for information will be mailed and can also be viewed from myLane.
- Allow enough time to complete the financial aid process. The process can take several weeks to several months.
- Use your legal name as it appears on your Social Security card. Using a nickname or any other name will cause a processing delay.
- Be careful to type or write your Social Security Number (SSN), name, and date of birth accurately and clearly. Any errors in the SSN, name, or date of birth will cause processing delays. If you file using an incorrect Social Security number, you MUST complete a new FAFSA using your correct Social Security number.
- If you are considered a dependent student, be sure your parent(s) provide parental information and signatures on the application. The application will not be processed without required information and signatures.
- Complete all income and asset information. If the income/asset question is not applicable to you or your answer is zero, write in '0'. A blank indicates that you meant to answer the question, but did not fill it in. We will ask you to complete blank questions since we cannot be sure what your answer should be.
- List Lane Community College and our school code, 003196, in the "school section" of the FAFSA.
- Remember to sign the application. Be sure your parent(s) sign the application if you are required to provide parental information.
- Do not send documents other than the FAFSA to the Federal Processor's address. They will be destroyed.
- If you complete a paper FAFSA, mail it to the address given on the application. DO NOT send it to Lane Community College.