The Writing Center+
What is it?
The Writing Center+ is a free service where trained professional and peer Writing Coaches act as a practice audience and support Lane Community College students in their reading, speaking, and writing development.
Where is it?
The Writing Center+ is in Center 211 in Tutor Central.
When is it open?
- On Lane's main campus, visit Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. and Friday from 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.
- At the Mary Spilde Downtown Center, visit us in DCA 218 Tuesdays from 5:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. ESL students, contact us for other hours in Titan Court and the DCA.
- Online, enroll in CRN 23473 for free, and use the Online Writing Coach Feedback (see more information below).
Do I need to make an appointment?
Make an appointment using our Writing Coach Appointment Link, or drop by any time we are open. We work on a first-come, first-serve basis, so making an appointment guarantees you will see a Writing Coach.
When you visit, please
- Bring a copy of your assignment.
- Plan for 30 minutes with a Writing Coach.
- Sign in to the computer with your L#.
Want someone else to look over your writing projects but don’t have time or resources to see us in person? Go to myLane, and add/register for CRN 23473. It’s free!
- Within a few hours, you should see Writing Center listed under My Courses in Moodle.
- Click on the Writing Center course, and scroll down to Online Writing Coach Feedback: Click Here.
- Read the instructions for attaching your papers and receiving feedback. Drafts submitted between 12:00 p.m. (noon) Sunday and 9:00 a.m. Friday will receive feedback within 24 hours. Drafts submitted between 9:01 a.m. Friday and 11:59 a.m. Sunday will receive feedback the following Monday.
What can I get help with?
Writing Coaches can help with all stages of a writing project from brainstorming to thesis statement formulation, organizing ideas, and citing sources. We do not proofread, but we do assist you in finding, learning about, and fixing individual error patterns.
We also help students with reading for assignments and projects and with speaking and listening tasks. During coaching sessions, we may help you use resources like those found on our Writing Resources Links page or Pinterest collection--check them out!
Come in and explore the Writing Center+!