Hanna's Word on Scholarships
Remember Hanna? The brilliant student who finished two degrees at LCC and never took student loans?
Hanna visited us on February 11, 2014. She shared her experience about paying for her education with the only economic source of scholarships.
By the time you read this, Hanna might be enjoying life without being worried about paying back student loans for the years to come. During her entire time at LCC, she never accepted any loans; all she did was applying for scholarships. She describes scholarships as "best part-time job"
Keeping records, writing effective essays, developing time-management skills, were just some of the keys to Hanna's success. Hanna set her personal goals, as she applied for a specific number of scholarships a week.
"Don't think you don't deserve a scholarship, and don't sell yourself short" are some of Hanna's encouraging and inspiring words to those who still don't believe it is possible to pay for education without acquiring unthinkable debt.
"Invest in your future now" Hanna says, "Maintain a positive attitude regardless of how difficult the circumstances may be"
Graduating from college is a challenge, but it is more challenging to pay back your student loans. Hanna says: "It is possible to pay for school with scholarships". And the best news: We can assure you Hanna is not the only one.
"I can't promise you will get that many but I can promise you won't get that many if you don't apply"..."Kind of like playing the lottery" Hanna says. So... Are you still waiting for this money to slip off your hands?
Investing five hours of your time to complete one application will pay great dividends in your future. You may not be thinking now about having an extra $500 or $400 dollars a month in the future.
It is likely however, that if you don't apply for scholarships today, you will be disappointed when time comes to pay back your student loans! Invest in your future now!
Want to know more about Hanna's courageous story? Click the link to watch her story:
Mathematics Virtual Tutor
There are many math resource tutorials on the Internet. The question is how to find a tutorial that fits your need. TRIO STEM staff have worked hard to find the videos appropriate to the topics addressed in your math texts. Below is a compilation of online math tutorial videos that correspond to the topics in the math texts at Lane. Click on your math class to go to the outline for your math textbook. You will find links to online tutorials.
- MATH 10 - Online tutorials corresponding to the Math 10 Review Sheet for placement testing.
- MATH 60 - Robert Blitzer Algebra for college students, LCC custom edition
- MATH 65 - Robert Blitzer Algebra for college students, LCC custom edition
- MATH95 - Robert Blitzer Algebra for college students, LCC custom edition
- MATH111 - PreCalculus Sullivan (Enhanced with Graphing utilities);5 Edition
- MATH112 - Precalculus Sullivan (Enhanced with Graphing utilities);5th Edition
- MATH251 - Calculus Hughes-Hallett 5th edition
- MATH 253 - Calculus Early Transcendentals Briggs/Cochran (Custom Edition for LCC)
- Didn't find the tutorial you were looking for? Try some of our favorite online tutorial sites:
Taking an online class? Check out this video:
Graphing Calculator Tutorial Videos
Below is a list of videos that will help you discover how to utilize your graphing calculator.
Entering a Graph:
Intersect of Two Graphs:
Luna's Scholarship Application Tips
- In two short presentations, Luna provides tips to get you started on your scholarship application. Luna provides ideas to help you begin your writing. After you've done your essays, come into the TRiO STEM office for help with editing.
- Start early. The early-bird deadline for OSAC is February 16; the final deadline for OSAC is March 1; the LCC Foundation's deadline still needs to be announced but will most likely be around that time.
Part 1 - Getting started:
Part 2 - Tips for starting your essays and doing your activity list:
- Download a pdf of the 2013-2014 Scholarship Application Packet (it's a large file, it may take a couple seconds to load)
- LCC Foundation Scholarship Information
- Oregon Student Access Commission (OSAC)
- Learn how scholarships affect your financial aid
Video: Sending Yourself a Reminder Email about Campus Deadlines - Lane Events Calendar has a tool that can send you an email to remind you about campus deadlines such as "last day to drop" or "first day of registration." Learn how to set up this function in this step-by-step video tutorial.
Become a Successful Student
Being an effective student requires developing successful study strategies. Two good resources are:
- Video: Reading Stratagies - TRiO Stem presentation on successful textbook reading and note-taking.
- Study Tips - Dartmouth University provides easy to follow student success strategies.
- More Study Tips - SamfordU 5 video playlist on effective studying (for students and tutors)
- Time Management Tips - Managing your time well is also key to student success.