Institutional Review Board (IRB)
Purpose of an IRB
The primary purpose of Lane's IRB is to protect the rights and welfare of human subjects used in federally supported research done through Lane Community College. The IRB safeguards individuals involved in federally supported research by ensuring that:
- risks have been considered and minimized;
- the potential for benefit has been identified and maximized;
- research-volunteers are provided with substantial information about the study and volunteer only after being provided with legally effective informed consent;
- that all private information will be handled with confidentiality; and
- that research is conducted in an ethical manner and in compliance with established standards.