Free workshop is Saturday, January 10, 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Center for Meeting and Learning, Building 19, LCC
EUGENE, Ore.— Enrolled at Lane Community College to train for a new career in culinary arts after years of working in the grocery industry, Hanna Achepohl heard about an event, "How to Pay for College—In One Day!" and decided to attend. The workshop, offered every year by Lane in partnership with College Goal Oregon, provides scholarship and financial aid information.
Hanna discovered dozens of scholarships that she hadn't known existed. Friendly staff helped her sort through the options and complete applications. Over time she applied for 77 scholarships, spending about 80 hours filling out forms and writing essays. She won enough scholarships to pay tuition, fees, books, and culinary supplies. That support, combined with part-time work, enabled Hanna to graduate debt free with two degrees and eight specialty certificates. Soon after she was hired as sous chef for the Waterford Grand, a residential community that opened in Eugene in fall 2014. The Waterford offers senior living options from independent apartments to assisted living to memory care, including amenities such as a restaurant, bistro and demonstration kitchen for cooking classes for residents.
Hanna says that if you want a college degree or a rewarding career, one of the best things you can do is attend the "How to Pay for College—In One Day" event. It's free, thanks to support from Northwest Community Credit Union.
This year's event is Saturday, January 10, from 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. in the Center for Meeting and Learning, Building 19, LCC main campus, 4000 E. 30th Ave., Eugene.
Participants can register at http://lanecc.augusoft.net by typing "How to Pay" in the search box, then follow the prompts; or call (541) 463-6100; or register at the event.
- 8:30-9 a.m. - Registration, Welcome, Overview
- 9 a.m.- 2:30 p.m. - College Goal Oregon: Meet with financial aid professionals to complete the 2015-2016 FAFSA application. Bring 2013 tax returns and 2014 financial records.
- 9 a.m.-10:30 a.m. - "Be a Competitive Applicant!" Learn resources and strategies for finding scholarships plus how to write quality essays and applications.
- 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. - "Finding Funds for Oregon Students!" Learn how to apply for the Office of Student Access and Completion (OSAC) scholarships.
- 12:45 p.m.- 2:15 p.m. - "Sesión Informativa Acerca de Becas y Ayuda Financiera."
- 1-2:00 p.m. - "Financial Aid Workshop"