The use of digital badges is sweeping the educational nation. They are touted as a way to motivate and engage learners, to signify accomplishments and to mark completion or mastery of a skill. They can be shared with the world. Join in and find out about the Mozilla Open Badges Project, hear how badges are being used in a Lane media arts class to engage and motivate students and then try your hand at earning a badge - could be fun... game on!
2013 Spring In-service Presentation
Badges in Education: Motivation Through Gamification
(Brad Hinson, Meredith Keene-Wilson)
Lane CC ART289: Web Production Student Interviews
- topic 1: Flipping the Classroom [cue to .57 sec.]
- topic 2: Badges as Motivation [cue to 4.09 sec.]
- topic 3: Team Treehouse [cue to 5:57 sec.]
Earn a Badge!
- View information on Mozilla Open Badges Project*
- Open a Mozilla Backpack account. It will only take a minute. You will also be asked to use the Mozilla identifying system called Persona. It is all one system.
- Take the Badges 101 quiz, and earn a badge!
- Display your badge by linking back to Mozilla Backpack or posting to your Wordpress or Twitter account.
For more information on incorporating badges in your courses contact Meredith Keene-Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Badges for Lifelong Learning: An Open Conversation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqVidWPVBKA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiqVidWPVBKA
- Cool Tools: Digital Badges http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adjIHWSwnU4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DadjIHWSwnU4
- Degreed – Conceptualizing the Digital Diploma http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyw5hCAg8Co
- Mozilla Open Badges http://openbadges.org/
- Khan Academy https://www.khanacademy.org/
- TeamTreehouse http://teamtreehouse.com/
- Seton Hall, Pirate Patch Badge System http://tltc.shu.edu/badges/
- Purdue Passport http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O41-BWJ_VE0
- Credly https://credly.com/
- Farber, M. (2013). Gamifying Student Engagement. Edutopia. http://www.edutopia.org/blog/gamifying-student-engagement-matthew-farber
- Ash, K. (2012). Colleges Use 'Digital Badges' to Replace Traditional Grading. Education Week. http://www.edweek.org/dd/articles/2012/06/13/03badges-s1.h05.html
- Ask, K. (2012). 'Digital Badges' Would Represent Students' Skill Acquisition. Education Week. http://www.edweek.org/dd/articles/2012/06/13/03badges.h05.html
- Carey, K. (2012). Show Me Your Badge. The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/04/education/edlife/show-me-your-badge.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&
- Carey, K. (2012). A Future Full of Badges. The Chronicle of Higher Education. http://chronicle.com/article/A-Future-Full-of-Badges/131455/
- Mirliss, D. (2012). Digital Badges Engage Incoming Freshmen. Seton Hall, ePirate Blog. http://epirate.shu.edu/?p=1344
- New, J. (2013). Mozilla Releases Long-Discussed Software to Offer 'Badges' for Learning. The Chronicle of Higher Education. http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/mozilla-releases-long-discussed-software-to-offer-badges-for-learning/42975
- Tally, S. (2012). Digital badges show students' skills along with degree. Purdue University News. http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2012/Q3/digital-badges-show-students-skills-along-with-degree.html
- Case Study: DIG/IT and the NYC Department of Education, Badge-empowered Digital Literacy Game Prepares NYC Students for the Real World. http://www.learningtimes.com/what-we-do/badges/digit-badges-nycdoe/ | http://digit.nycdoelearns.org/