Math Placement Test Preparation
It pays to prepare for your math placement test. Accurate placement will create more course options for you, and will help you start college successfully. Although the test itself is untimed, being prepared will help you use your time most efficiently. The information below may be helpful to you before you take the Accuplacer Math Placement Test.
There are three parts to the Accuplacer Math Test, so the testing staff will ask you a few questions to determine the best place for you to start.
There are 17 questions on the Arithmetic Test that measure your ability to perform basic arithmetic operations:
- Operations with whole numbers and fractions
- Operations with decimals and percentages
- Applications and problem solving
There are 12 questions, divided into three types, that are administered in this test:
- Operations with integers and rational numbers
- Operations with algebraic expressions
- Finding the solution to equations, inequalities, and word problems
College Level Math
There are 20 questions that assess your skills in intermediate algebra through precalculus:
- Algebraic operations
- Finding solutions to equations and inequalities
- Coordinate geometry
- Applications and other algebra topics
- Functions and trigonometry
There are three ways to review for the placement test:
- Accuplacer Sample Questions. You will need to scroll past the Reading and Writing sections, but you will come to practice questions on the three math tests, followed by pages containing the answers.
- Free Accuplacer Study App!
- Math Review Sheets