Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Lane Community College Honors Program?
- What are the benefits of participating in the Honors Program?
- Who can take an honors course?
- What is the difference between an honors course and an honors option class?
- Do transfer credits count toward my Honors Program requirements?
- Is Lane's Honors Program the same as Phi Theta Kappa?
The Honors Program provides a challenging and transformative student learning experience by offering honors courses and honors options in a variety of disciplines. Classes emphasize academic rigor, scholarly inquiry, creativity and independent thinking. By applying to the Honors Program and completing two honors seminars and four honors classes by the time they graduate or transfer, students engage in an enriching honors community at Lane and can graduate with honors recognition on their transcript.
- collaborative learning with other engaged students
- faculty mentorship
- small classes that encourage discussion and debate
- honors events, symposiums and receptions
- honors transcript recognition
- competitive edge for university transfer
Any Lane Community College student can enroll in an honors course or honors option. Admission into the Lane Community College Honors Program, however, requires a formal application
- honors courses: available to all student enrolled at Lane; each student in the course completes honors-level work
- honors options: available to all student enrolled at Lane; only students requesting the option complete honors-level work
Honors courses are designated in the class schedule with "_H" (such as WR 121_H) and can be found in the online class schedule by typing "honors" into the Quick Class Search box.
Yes, honors courses taken at other colleges that are comparable to Lane honors courses will be accepted; however, you are required to complete at least half of your honors credits at Lane.
The Honors Program is separate from Phi Theta Kappa and requires a separate application process. Phi Theta Kappa is an Honor Society and the Honors Program is a track of academic study. To join the Lane Honors Program you need to meet the program requirements and apply by submitting an application.